About Boise State

Facts and Figures

Boise State University is designated as a doctoral research institution by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education. We offer about 200 programs of study, including 11 doctoral programs.

2017-2018 Figures

Enrollment

Total Students

Group of students
  • 24,154 — Total Students
  • 16,318 — Full Time Equivalent

Residency

Graph of the state of Idaho with 74% and the rest of the United States with 26%
  • In State — 74% (17,770)
  • Out of State —26% (6,384)

Enrollment Status

Degree-seeking undergraduate students

  • Full Time — 77% (12,444)
  • Part Time — 23% (3,826)

Degree-seeking graduate students

  • Full Time — 39% (1,059)
  • Part Time — 61% (1,653)

Additional enrollment numbers

  • 8,358 — Students taking at least one online course
  • 2,789 — Number of new first-time students who enrolled
  • 1,528 — Number of new transfer students who enrolled

Student Population

Degree-seeking students

Pie graph of 2017 student population
  • Freshmen — 17% (3,238)
  • Sophomore — 19% (3,663)
  • Junior — 20% (3,712)
  • Senior — 26% (5,014)
  • Graduate — 14% (2,712)
  • Second Undergraduate Degree — 3% (643)

Gender

  • Male — 43%
  • Female — 57%

Ethnicity

  • American Indian/Alaska Native — <1% (109)
  • Asian — 2% (535)
  • Black/African American — 2% (399)
  • Hispanic/Latino — 12% (2,997)
  • Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander — <1% (97)
  • Not Reported — 3% (706)
  • Two or More Races — 4% (967)
  • White — 74% (17,802)
  • Nonresident (International) — 2% (542)

Age Group

Bar graph of age groups
  • 17 and under — 18% (4,417)
  • 18-20 — 28% (6,874)
  • 21-24 — 22% (5,382)
  • 25-34 — 18% (4,245)
  • 35-49 — 11% (2,558)
  • 50 and over — 3% (735)

*Please note: Age groupings have changed from 2016-2017 numbers

Highest Enrollment Programs

Undergraduate

  • Health Science Studies — 791
  • Nursing — 776
  • Biology — 776
  • General Business — 718
  • Computer Science — 706
  • Psychology — 675
  • Communication — 673
  • Kinesiology — 523
  • Accountancy — 481
  • Marketing — 475

Graduate

  • Social Work — 366
  • Business Administration — 358
  • Educational Technology — 249
  • Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning — 157
  • Educational Leadership — 73

Degree programs offered

2017-2018 catalogs

  • Doctorate and Education Specialist — 13
  • Master’s — 65
  • Bachelor’s — 84
  • Graduate Certificates — 25

Distinct Graduates

4,173 Total Distinct Graduates (2016-2017)

  • Doctorate — 36
  • Education Specialist — 15
  • Master’s — 776
  • Bachelor’s — 3,141
  • Associate’s — 114
  • Graduate Certificates — 212
  • Undergraduate Certificates — 200

Tuition and Fees

Undergraduate Tuition

  • In State — $7,326
    • Part Time — $305/credit
  • Out of State — $22,642

*per year

Graduate Tuition

  • In State — $8,754
    • Part Time — $390/credit
  • Out of State — $24,070

*per year

Financial Aid and Scholarships

2016-2017

  • 13,892 students received financial aid
  • $159,333,893 financial aid dollars disbursed
  • 47% of students received grants or scholarships
  • $48,671,186 total scholarship dollars dispursed

Faculty and Staff

Faculty

  • Full Time —757
    • Professor — 173
    • Associate Professor — 206
    • Assistant Professor — 214
    • Other — 164
  • Part Time — 769

Staff

  • Professional
    • Full Time — 1,135
    • Part Time — 70
  • Classified
    • Full Time — 533
    • Part Time — 25

Total Employees — 3,289

  • Full Time — 2,425
  • Part Time — 864

Boise State University Foundation Endowment

$100,806,622 — Total Endowment

$206,383,805 — Total Assets

26,723 — Number of Donors

*(FY17)

Want to see previous year's facts?

View the archive of Boise State Facts and Figures on Scholar Works.