Faculty Dual-Career Program
Recognizing this changing recruitment pattern, Boise State University has developed Policy #4240 to assist department chairs and administrators when the primary hire for a faculty position is contingent on identifying a faculty position for the partner.. The Provost may provide support for partner employment by funding up to 1/3 of the salary required for a period of up to three years.
The following serves as a quick reference for funding procedures. First read Boise State Policy #4240 for full details of policies and procedures regarding the Faculty Dual-Career Program.
PROVOST FUNDING CRITERIA
Due to limited funds available for Provost support, priority will be given to those partner hires meeting one or more of the following criteria:
- Partner hire is in department(s) judged, by the dean(s), to be understaffed or in need of expansion.
- A strong case can be made for continued employment for the partner beyond 3 years (e.g. an anticipated retirement in the next 3 years).
- Use of partner hiring funds will enhance diversity.
- Either primary hire or partner or both have a record of successfully winning research grants and providing a portion of their own salary support.
REQUEST FOR FUNDS
In making a request for up to 1/3 salary support from the Provost for a partner hire, these items must be presented:
- Curriculum Vitae of the partner hire candidate.
- An affirmative department recommendation on the partner hire candidate.
- A written statement from the dean(s) responding to the items listed in #4, above. The statement should specify how the remaining 2/3’s salary and fringe will be funded and/or the FTE commitment will be covered and which units will provide the remaining support.
- Completion of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) that outlines Item #3 above and identifies department and dean funding sources for the other 2/3 salary and fringe.
- The request and MOA shall be directed to the Provost for final approval. Any issues preventing approval will be discussed with involved parties in a timely manner with the goal of facilitating an appropriate partner hire.
Provost’s support will be for a limited period of time (e.g. until an anticipated vacancy occurs) and shall not exceed three years. After the year(s) of approved shared support, the hiring unit must assume full responsibility for the partner’s salary.