Tenure and Promotion Process for 2022-2023
Two of the most important events in a faculty member’s career are the awarding of tenure and promotion in rank. The process by which tenure and promotions in rank are awarded reflects the very character of the University; both the University and its tenure and promotion process must be open, honest, and fair to all concerned parties in both fact and perception. This openness, honesty, and fairness influences faculty morale, the relationships of faculty members with students and colleagues, their perceptions of their roles in the University and broader community, and their perceptions of themselves. In turn, this defines the character of the University.
New this year:
- Review committee members must use the Individual Voting Form when casting a ballot for a candidate’s recommendation
- Review committee chairs must complete a Record of Tenure and/or Promotion Votes and Recommendations Form for each candidate
- These forms will be uploaded by the appropriate T&P Coordinator into each candidate’s “Voting Recommendation Forms” folder
For the academic year 2022-2023, we will continue the digital submission process we used last year. However, this year reviewers will be required to submit an Individual Voting Form to record recommendations, and committee chairs will be required to complete and submit a Record of Tenure and/or Promotion Votes and Recommendations Form (forms will be sent to committee members). These completed forms will be uploaded to the candidate’s folder and viewable to those involved in the review process. Here’s a summary of the process:
- Binder 1: Binder 1 will be submitted as a single PDF file with bookmarks for each required section. See Binder 1 & 2 PDF Instructions.
- Binder 2 and other supplemental materials: Candidates may choose the format for these additional materials. Because these materials do not go beyond the college/school level, departments, schools, and colleges have the discretion to decide on the format for their own processes or to leave it up to the candidate to decide.
- Simple email submission: Candidates will email their digital binders to their department T&P Coordinator (See Submission and Review Process).
- Secure cloud storage and reviewer access on Google Drive: Once submitted, digital binders will be saved on a central Google Folder owned by the Provost’s Office (“Tenure & Promotion Binders”).
- Workflow similar to hard-copy process: Administrative tasks for the submission and review process will be similar to those in the current hard-copy process.
- Support: Drop-in sessions will be offered for faculty and staff to address questions about the process and preparation.
Complete guidelines, instructions, and timelines can be found in Google Drive.
The chain of custody for the binders will be as follows:
- Department T&P Coordinator (one person should be the designee to manage all content)
- College/School T&P Coordinator (one person should be the designee to manage all content)
- Provost (the “Tenure & Promotion Binder” Google folder will be owned and managed by the Provost’s Office)