Skip to main content

Semester Switch Request Form

Before beginning the Semester Switch Request, please note the following:

  1. If you are changing your degree-seeking status from non-degree to degree seeking, please do not use this form. Instead, complete a new application for admission.
  2. Moving your admission to a different semester will also cancel your on-campus housing application. If you have applied for housing, be sure to visit the Housing and Residence Life website to understand the fees associated with canceling your application.
  3. Screen reader users: we recommend using Chrome or Internet explorer browsers for full accessibility and best user experience.

Am I Eligible for a Semester Switch?

Incoming students may use this form to move their admission forward or backward to a new semester. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. Only one semester switch per application will be allowed, unless returning to the original semester of admission. Students may request to move their admission forward more than one semester, but additional requirements may apply.

  • Graduate Students: If you are a graduate student, please contact Graduate Admission and Degree Services at 208-426-3903 or to discuss your options for switching semesters.
  • International Students: If you are an international student, please email the International Admissions Office at to discuss your options for switching semesters.
  • Non-Degree Students: Non-degree seeking students may use this form to change their semester of admission, however non-degree students wanting to change their admission status to degree seeking must complete a new application for admission.

An approved semester switch request only applies to student’s general admission to the university. Direct admission to academic majors, programs with advanced standing, or placement by exam or audition will be determined by the individual department/program. Applicants are advised to contact the department/program prior to requesting a deferment.

Deadlines and Timeline:

This form must be submitted before the end of the semester you are currently admitted for –AND– before the posted application deadline for the semester you desire to attend. Forms and outstanding documents are subject to the posted scholarship deadlines.

Required Materials:

Before a student’s admission can be moved to a new semester, the following items are required:

  • Semester Switch request form.
  • Final transcripts – if in-progress coursework was used for admission. A student’s semester of admission will only be moved if they continue to meet Boise State’s admission standards.

IMPORTANT: If you are moving your semester of admission forward more than one semester (e.g. Fall 2018 to Fall 2019), your request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. The following may apply:

  • This type of request may be granted for non-academic reasons including, but not limited to, pursuing a religious mission, military service, humanitarian activities or travel. Students may also request a deferral for medical or personal reasons.
  • Any academic coursework attempted during the period of deferment will void your admission decision.

Failure to meet any of these terms may result in the revocation of admission. In such a case, an applicant will need to reapply for admission to Boise State University by the appropriate application deadline, and will need to pay the application fee.

You will need to log into your my.BoiseState account to complete this request. If you have not logged into my.BoiseState before, this link will walk you through the steps.

Semester Switch Request