Deferment Request Form
Before beginning the deferment form, please note the following:
- If you are changing your degree-seeking status from non-degree to degree seeking, please do not use this form. Instead, complete a new application for admission.
- Moving your admission to a different semester will also cancel your on-campus housing application. If you have applied for housing, be sure to visit the Housing and Residence Life website to understand the fees associated with canceling your application.
- Screen reader users: we recommend using Chrome or Internet explorer browsers for full accessibility and best user experience.
Am I eligible?
Due to current circumstances, incoming students currently admitted for the Summer or Fall 2020 semester:
- Can defer their admission and scholarship(s) for any reason (deadlines apply), and can attend college elsewhere, up until the Fall 2021 semester.
- Can move their admission/scholarship(s) forward as many times as desired, up until the Fall 2021 semester and/or they enroll in classes at Boise State.
Incoming undergraduate students may use this form to move their admission and scholarships to a new semester (deadlines apply). Students can only move their admission/scholarship(s) forward once per application. Students may move their admission and scholarship(s) for 1 to 5 semesters (not counting summer semesters) into the future. Students wanting to move their admission/scholarship(s) to the next semester may do so for any reason. However, students wanting to move their admission/scholarship(s) for more than one semester may do so for non-educational purposes only, and will void their admission/scholarship(s) if they enroll or attend classes at a regionally accredited college/university. Students who have their deferment request denied or voided are encouraged to re-apply for admission.
- Which scholarships are eligible to defer?
These five automatic scholarships are eligible to defer along with your admission to Boise State University: Presidential, Dean’s, True Blue Promise, WUE and Treasure scholarships. If you have been awarded one of these automatic scholarships in your admissions offer, it will be moved along with your admission to the university.
- Graduate Students: If you are a graduate student, please contact Graduate Admission and Degree Services at 208-426-3903 or email@example.com to discuss your options for switching semesters.
- International Students: If you are an international student, please email the International Admissions Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options for switching semesters.
- Non-Degree Students: Non-degree seeking students may use this form to change their semester of admission, however non-degree students wanting to change their admission status to degree seeking must complete a new application for admission.
An approved deferment request only applies to student’s general admission to the university. Direct admission to academic majors, programs with advanced standing, or placement by exam or audition will be determined by the individual department/program. Applicants are advised to contact the department/program prior to requesting a deferment.
Deadlines and timeline:
Deferment requests will be reviewed in the order they are received and during high volume times may take two to three weeks to process.
To move admission and scholarships:
- Admitted for Fall/Summer: Students admitted for the fall/summer have until December 1 of their admission year to submit a deferment request (e.g. Fall 2021 = December 1, 2021).
- Admitted for Spring: Students admitted for the spring have until May 1 of their admission year to submit a deferment request (e.g. Spring 2021 = May 1, 2021).
Submitting the form:
You will need to log into your my.BoiseState account to complete this request. If you have not logged into my.BoiseState before, this link will walk you through the steps.