Skip to main content

Executive Council Meeting: December 2020

Meeting Date

December 4, 2020

Call to order/ Approval of Minutes

Updates/Announcements:

Updates/Announcements from Chairs

    • Joie, RADSCI
      • Radiography completing 5 yr interim report
      • Meeting on Monday to move interventional radiology program forward
      • Initial meeting coming with St. Lukes about echocardiography
      • High School career fair went well, invited to another at Borah on 1/26
      • Moving forward on upgrades to DR lab – Bob recommended reaching out to Heather Jauregui to let them know/donors
    • Megan, RESP
      • both DAP and MSRC annual status for accreditation approved
      • talking with St. Lukes about local affiliation agreement
      • working to get students able to take COVID patients at St. Lukes
      • on campus program searching for Samantha’s position; closes at end of year
      • applied for GA position through COHS; if not approved will apply through dept
    • Jane, KIN
      • dept meeting next Friday
      • Phil – AT accreditation changing again soon; working on changing old policies from 2004
      • HPL – working with people at Mountain Home AFB on testing and programming; hopefully something developed soon
    • Jen, GENCO
      • Students doing fine; clinical placements for spring
      • Question for group: Anyone doing graduation ceremony for May? This will be GENCO’s first – exciting!
        • Bob – Recommend aligning accommodations needed
        • Meg – MSRC were in a similar boat in Aug; willing to give pointers on how they did the virtual ceremony. Recommend having a plan A & B just in case.
        • Joie – Check with Leslie Kendrick because of her experience with IS program.

School Updates:

    • HSRV 200-development
      • Proposing a SIM lab – RESP is closely involved, but it would be a schoolwide initiative. Request has been submitted to the University project manager and is in motion. Once we get a response, we can set representatives from each interested party. To speed up process, we sat with the development officer and discussed pairing development plan to fully equip SIM lab. Anticipating beginning of 2021, TBD.
      • Joie – When we converted 200 to an office suite, we displaced classroom space. Concerned that we continue to disregard classroom needs.
      • Bob – The new space is meant to be multi-functional, but there will be restrictions. Can continue this conversation. Our goal is to meet needs in meaningful ways. (We’ll schedule a meeting as a group to discuss space.)

College Updates:

    • Conversations around executive order related to diversity
      • Can debate diversity issues in classrooms, but we cannot take a position on diversity as a University. We can say “we are opposed to discrimination.”
    • Reports related to student concerns
      • Some of the advising focus groups conclude that students think people are doing a lot to help, but experience is not what they are hoping for. In a number of cases, students say they are not getting email responses from faculty when requesting info.
    • Feedback to Graduate School
      • Graduate School has asked us to move deadlines up earlier so they have more time for proposals. Leadership is willing to consider new program proposals sooner, but other items they do not feel are necessary.
  • Committee Reports

    • College P&T (Joie)
      • Reviewed and approved 13 packets. 10 clinical and 3 P&T.
    • College UG Curriculum committee; Kuali Q&A (Jane)
      • Most proposals from college have gone through. Still packed with University curriculum items. Will need to develop policies for Kuali (not sure if it requires unanimous approval.)
    • College Grad Curriculum committee (Megan)
      • Their biggest issue is hoping proposals in Kuali don’t get denied. Otherwise they have to re-initiate rather than edit.
    • College IPE Committee (Jen)
      • Nothing to report; not doing any activities until Fall.
    • College Policy Committee (Bob).
      • Spoke with Lonny, not much going on with significance.
    • College Clinical Affiliations Committee (Bob)
      • Emailed Cathy today – there will be some minor revisions, but they will not be too significant. Will follow up when she has more to report.
    • College Research Committee (Bob)
      • Got a little momentum going. Lightning rounds well attended; will become University Sponsored events.
      • Got 26 faculty members interested in PHD programs, 16 interested in leading.
      • Changed salary savings policy recently; Will ask Dean for faculty to be able to just split 50/50 without stipulation of ‘up to 50% of salary’.
      • Cayuse will be kicking off soon.
    • College Communications Task Force (Kristy)
      • Nothing to report; next meeting Dec 14
    • School Policy Committee (Bob):
      • Nothing to report
    • School ad-hoc faculty affairs committee (Bob):
      • Nothing to report

OLD Business

    • Issues concerns about PP? Qualitative measures?
      • Joie
        • Engaged Cathy Masters and Leslie Kendrick; will look at list ALC generated and use those. She feels they are very strong because of accreditation, so not concerned about process
      • Megan
        • Not under the impression they are supposed to provide any data yet.
      • Jane
        • Just supposed to answer the 3 questions. They are requesting a summary of programs – questions are similar to Phase I.
      • Bob
        • For data on qualitative measures, rolls into “Serve all of Idaho” section
      • Other thoughts
        • Megan
          • Shifting focus to online students in Spring – got the okay to do a 1-on-1 orientation while following safety guidelines. We are allowed to do events under very specific stipulations, but curious what others are doing.
          • Joie – Travis took his laptop and walked students virtually through the lab
          • Concerned about getting potential students they’d normally catch through Open House.
    • High School Days follow-up (feedback)
      • Bob called by Borah to talk to their students; referred by Ann Farris. The word is getting out; we want to take advantage of opportunities and mention other areas in our School as well. Heard positive feedback!
      • Joie – rescheduled to the 30th. Brief walkby feedback was all good. A couple of their students attended
      • Jen – this could be of value to them; doesn’t mind doing these with Boise School District, but wants to make an effort to reach out to rural schools and those with minority populations.
      • Jane – (KIN videos in progress) considered editing and wasn’t sure about costs. Will need to revisit.
    • Faculty Evals/Evaluation of Teaching and Learning.
      • Would like to schedule a sit-down meeting (previously discussed a faculty writing a one-page reflection). Emphasis on taking care of faculty.
    • SPOTLIGHT AWARDS (Final vetting)
      • Joie
        • Nominated John Lampignano for teaching. Was a visiting scholar for a year and now 2nd year full time clinical faculty. Brought a ton of experience and expertise. Registered in CTM radiology and worked in a variety of hospitals. Student’s love him. First to volunteer. Flexible, positieve, greater energy, master teacher! Approved.
      • Jane
        • Nominated Laura Petranek for service. She’s involved in faculty senate and policy. First to volunteer. Works with youth program. She does everything with gusto and thoroughness. Their dept would fall to the wayside without her service. Approved.
      • Megan
        • Nominated Michele Kelly for Service. Doing the job of 2.5 people and keeping all 3 programs afloat. Keeps tabs on budget. Quick, efficient, professional. Students enjoy and appreciate her. Approved.
    • BAS emphasis (Final vetting)
  • New Business

    • Spring School Meeting, likely virtual
    • Spotlight Awards, likely virtual
    • Jane
      • Due to COVID regulations, faculty laptops are getting beat up. Can rqe request any support from the college to help support that technology? Bob will follow up on this 
  • ADJOURNMENT