Meals Under 5 – Dessert
- Cooking spray
- ½ cup. melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup. granulated sugar
- ¼ cup ground cinnamon
- 6 apples
- 12 chewy caramel squares
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease a medium baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Slice top off of each apple then use a melon baller (or a teaspoon) to scoop out core.Using a paring knife, make three circular cuts in apple. Place apple cut side-down on a cutting board and slice crosswise.
- Place cut apples in baking dish. Fill each apple with two caramel squares then brush melted butter mixture on top.
- Bake until the apples are tender, about 30 minutes.
Serve warm with ice cream.
- 1/4-ounce package yeast, or 2 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 cup warm water, about 110 degrees
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside for 10 minutes. In a large bowl mix melted butter, milk, sugar, salt, and the egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle.
- Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Roll up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 equal slices.
- Make sure to spray your pan. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan, cover, and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency.
½ cup butter
½ cup sugar
1 cup flour
2 ¼ cups sugar
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons flour
½-¾ cup lemon juice and zest of lemons
¾ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9×13 inch pan. Combine ingredients for crust until crumbly but holds together if pressed. Press crust evenly in pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Zest lemons and then juice.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together. Ensure flour and baking powder are not clumping and whisk into egg mixture until not lumpy.
- Add lemon juice and zest to egg mixture. Mix well.
- Gently pour egg mixture on warm crust. Bake about 25-30 minutes. Let chill before serving.
- 1 ¾ cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 cups of flour as you mix
- Butter, melted
- Combine water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl or large liquid measuring cup.. Let rest for a few minutes while you combine salt, eggs, and oil in a large bowl.
- Add about 2 cups flour and mix until smooth. Continue to add flour until dough comes together, but is still lightly wet.
- Put in an oiled bowl and let rise for 45 minutes, covered with a cloth or loose plastic wrap.
- Punch down and form into rolls.
- For monkey bread, cut into small, quarter sized pieces. Dip in melted butter/oil and then a cinnamon sugar mix.
- Place in an oiled pan or muffin tins.
- Let rise for 20 minutes, covered with a cloth or loose plastic wrap.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until brown, about 15-20 minutes.
Sweet and Spicy Mango Sorbet
- 1-1/2 cups frozen mango cubes, slightly thawed
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 -1/2 cup agave nectar, depending on desired sweetness
- A pinch of cayenne powder
- In a blender, add all of the ingredients. Blend the mixture on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture into a metal or glass container and store in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, scoop into a bowl and serve immediately.