Internships and Fellowships
Boise, ID, US, 83702-6924
The J.R. Simplot Company is a diverse, privately held organization, with roots firmly planted in agriculture and agriculture-related businesses. The J.R. Simplot Company is a true farm-to-table company with operations that touch every aspect of agriculture, including seed production, farming and ranching, plant sciences, fertilizer manufacturing, food processing, commercial product development, and distribution.
Simplot Plant Sciences is seeking an energetic and responsible intern to join the analytical research team, which uses state of the art instrumentation to analyze potato, strawberry, and soil samples. A willingness to learn and accept new challenges is critical as you will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and can be expected to gain valuable insight that can further their interest in your chosen career field. In addition to lab duties, the intern will have the opportunity to meet managers, executives, and interns from other areas of the business.
The successful candidate will be available for 5-6 months (summer – fall) to work on a collaborative project including biochemistry and soil sciences. The objective of the primary project is to identify various classes of soil microbes based on their lipid profiles.
What we need:
A candidate with a strong willingness to learn and accept new challenges. Works in conjunction with their team to set up and carry out experiments. Troubleshoots, summarizes, and reports results. A candidate with good knowledge of analytical chemistry, instrumentation, soil science and/or biology.
- Support the development of analytical methods (e.g. GC-MS) to identify and differentiate biological lipids.
- Collect soil samples (e.g. field) and sample processing for analytical detection.
- Support the team with sample collection, processing, analyte extraction and routine analyses of potato and strawberry samples.
- Record and summarize experimental results (orally and written) under the supervision of a scientist. Actively participate in discussions and meetings.
Major in chemistry, biochemistry, soil science or related discipline, from 4-year College or University.
- Knowledge of chemistry, biochemistry and cellular biology.
- Good understanding of the theoretical basis of experiments.
- Basic laboratory and troubleshooting skills and analytical ability.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team and enjoy a team-based environment.
- Highly collaborative, self-motivated, and flexible.
- Good organization, written and verbal communication skills. Strong desire to learn to use biotechniques as a tool to develop new methods, and products.
Disclaimer- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Requisition ID: 690
Travel Required: None
Location(s): Simplot Headquarters – Boise
Country: United States
**The J.R. Simplot Company is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, marital status, or any other protected status.**
If you require technical assistance, please email us at email@example.com.
SCI Scholars is now accepting applications for its prestigious summer 2020 industrial internships. SCI Scholars is open to chemistry and chemical engineering majors who are current sophomore or juniors, US citizens or permanent residents with at least 3.5 (out of 4.0) cumulative GPA. Some positions have additional requirements.
Selected candidates will receive:
- $6,000-$10,000+ salary and benefits (varies by internship)
- Certificate of recognition
- $1,000 professional development stipend
- Opportunity to nominate an inspiring high school chemistry teacher for recognition. Teachers will be awarded a certificate and $1,000 to support their curriculum.
Please direct interested students to www.acs.org/SCI; the 2019 SCI Scholars page provides first-hand information on past internship experiences. You can also post the SCI Scholar flyer, as well as share it with any faculty members who could help promote this program to their students.=
SCI Scholars was developed by Society of Chemical Industry (SCI), the American Chemical Society (ACS), and the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) to introduce exceptional chemistry and chemical engineering majors to industrial careers. Contact the SCI Scholars program (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
If you have students seeking additional experiential opportunities outside of SCI Scholars, you can also direct them to Get Experience, the ACS International Center, or the inChemistry article, “Six Summer Job Options To Start Planning for Now.”