Meet Boise State Student Kieran Nola

Kieran Nolan

Finance Major and a Minor in Marketing

Hometown: Dublin, California

As first glance, Kieran is a typical college student – studies business, helped start a fraternity on campus, listens to so much music in an average day that Spotify probably loses money on his membership… However, below the surface, Kieran is dedicated to making change. His passion for building connections at Boise State led him to become an campus leader and Orientation Leader, helping to make Boise State an inclusive space where everyone feels comfortable and accepted, and safe.

When I met Kieran, he was speaking to the importance of re-framing how we choose words to make sure that the language we use in day to day conversation isn’t alienating. His friendly demeanor is part of why people are drawn to him initially, but it’s his commitment to those around him that make people want to follow his lead. You can find Kieran at almost every @BoiseStateCOBE event, his goal is to leave Boise State without having passed up any opportunities that come his way.

……………………………………………………………………………..

Kieran does a lot of stuff at Boise State.
• Founding Father of Alpha Tau Omega at Boise State.
On the executive board from the beginning. Social Chair, now Secretary.
• Orientation Leader for New Student Programs
• Student Orientation Coordinator – 1 of 3 students selected for this role.

How did he get connected to all this stuff on campus?

• My RA my first year told me about ATO starting on campus and thought my roommates and I would be good candidates to help start it.
• My old Orientation Leader was in my fraternity and told me about how Orientation Leader applications were out and that he thought I would be a good addition to the team, so I applied, and the rest fell into place!

Personally, I think the biggest barrier to getting to connected at Boise State is getting enough courage to take the first step. It wasn’t until I realized that every aspect of college is an investment and all the time spent waiting to take action was time I was never going to get back. Now I try to do as much as possible because I won’t have an opportunity like this again.

Most daunting thing I have done at Boise State was applied to be an Orientation Leader. I thought it would be an awesome experience, but I didn’t believe in myself. I applied anyways and put a lot of thought into everything, I’m glad New Student Programs saw value in me even when I didn’t.

What is Kieran’s reset to stay balanced when life gets chaotic?

I like to go up to Bogus over the winter, snowboarding and just being in the mountains definitely helps keep me sane. Listening to music is another thing I can’t live without. Both of those things give me an good outlet to release stress and reset while having fun in the process.
……………………………………………………………………….

#BoiseStateStudentStories

Kieran holding balloons at orientation
Kieran Nolan is an Orientation Leader this Summer with New Student Programs.