As a Boise State employee, do you ever feel like there must be a better way for you and your team to do your work? Do you see a “problem” in your work area, or elsewhere on campus, and wish you could find a “better” way to do things? These are common questions, and they reflect a desire to see our work have greater impact, efficiency and meaning.
This three-part workshop series, “Unlocking the Innovator Inside Us & Our Work” is open to any member of the campus community — staff, administrators, faculty — who is interested in more deeply engaging in Boise State’s culture of innovation. Gordon Jones, dean of the College of Innovation + Design (CI+D) and workshop leader, will share concepts that can help you design work and work processes for the benefit of those we serve.
Expect to learn, practice and even implement concepts, tips and techniques that can increase your impact on our community, and help our university pursue boundless innovation.
Sponsored by CI+D and the President’s Office.
Special Note for Fall Workshop Participants
For those who participated in the Fall workshop series… OR… are you actively working on an innovation and want help? Sign up here for a consultation with Dean Jones or a member of the Venture College leadership team.
**Registration required for each session
Workshop 1 – Innovation Basics (Wednesday February 17, 2021 from 12-1pm)
In this first workshop, we will explore what is innovation, what leads to innovation, and how each of us can be a source of innovation at Boise State.
- What is Innovation?
- Dissecting Problems and Understanding the Root Causes
- Identifying stakeholders affected
- Who matters?
- Clarifying what may be the (or a) problem to be solved
- Where do ideas come from?
- Assignment 1 – Think about and identify one problem to be solved in your area or for Boise State overall?
Workshop 2 – Building Solutions (Wednesday February 24, 2021 from 12-1pm)
In this second workshop, we will learn some approaches and tools that can help us think more critically about potentially innovative ideas and develop strategies to grow our innovative ideas.
- Incremental vs. Transformational Innovations
- Diagnosing which is right for your organization, unit, group
- Understanding the concept of Return on Investment
- Evaluating Risk
- Determining a strategy for implementation
- Assignment 2 – For a given innovative idea, what is it and how would you go about implementing it at Boise State or in your area?
Workshop 3 – Implementing Your Big Idea/s (Wednesday March 3, 2021 from 12-1pm)
In this third workshop, we will focus on the challenges we will face as innovators and develop skills to navigate those challenges to bring our innovative ideas to reality for our community
- Alliances and stakeholder management
- Gathering and utilizing resources
- What do I do if my boss or others don’t want to support my innovative idea?
- Intrapreneurs vs. Entrepreneurs – dealing with naysayers and rejection (they’re everywhere!) and people supporting you (they’re everywhere too!)
- Developing a plan to see your innovation implemented and enjoying the results!