Skip to main content

3+3 BA/BS + JD Degree Program

Boise State University, Concordia University School of Law, and University of Idaho College of Law have launched two distinct, joint law degree programs that affirm a commitment to creating partnerships to expedite the training of legal professionals.

The 3+3 BA/BS + JD Degree Program will allow qualified students to complete their undergraduate and law school education in less time than would be required to complete them separately: three years at Boise State, followed by earned access to one of two high-quality juris doctorate programs right here in our back yard with a reduced cost in dollars and time.

In essence, a student will complete all Boise State coursework required for University Foundations and the major in 3 years and 90+ creidit hours. A maximum of 30 credits from the first year of law school will be used to complete the 120 credits total required for a baccalaureate degree. Some majors have more than 90 credits of required courses, so more than 90 credits would be required to enter the 3+3 program.

Information specific to each 3+3 program may be found in this website.

Print and complete this form: 3 + 3 Agreement Form. Please include a copy of the 3 + 3 plan and submit to:

Center for Advising and Student Success
Riverfront Hall, room 117
Mailstop 1960



Below is a list of departments at Boise State University that currently have a 3+3 plan.  Other program options are being developed.  To create a custom plan for your major, please visit with the 3+3 Coordinator.  John McGuire may be contacted at 208-426-2663.


Bachelor of Applied Science
English – Technical Communication
Environmental Studies
French – excluding secondary education
German – excluding secondary education
History – excluding secondary education
History of Art & Visual Culture
Mathematics, BS
Media Arts
Multi-Disciplinary Studies
Music, BA
Social Science
Sociology – excluding secondary education
Spanish – excluding secondary education


General Business
Human Resource Management


Criminal Justice
Political Science
Urban Studies and Community Development



Where should questions not addressed in this document be referred?

For more information, students should contact the program coordinator at The Center for Advising and Student Success, Riverfront Hall, Room 117, 208-426-2663. Email questions to COAS-ADVISING@BOISESTATE.EDU.

When must a student apply for the 3+3 Law Degree Program?

The official deadline is May 15th of the student’s second year at Boise State(approximately 60 credit hours). It is recommended that students sign up for 3+3 by the end of the first year of enrollment.  This may be deferred for specific majors and circumstances.

Where can students sign up for 3+3?

Students may begin indicating interest in the program during New Student Orientation or, if in a department with an existing program of study, by meeting with an advisor the first semester of enrollment to determine eligibility and begin the appropriate paperwork.  The “Program Agreement” may be found on this web site.

Who will advise 3+3 students?

3+3 students will be advised by an academic advisor in their academic department or major. A 3+3 Coordinator, housed in the Center for Advising and Student Success, oversees the program.

How many credits should 3+3 students enroll in for each semester?

To progress in a manner that meets program requirements, 3+3 students should enroll in a minimum of 15 credits per academic semester or 30 credits per calendar year (depending on the course plan created with the academic advisor). Courses can be taken during summer sessions as well. A minimum of 90 credits are needed before beginning a law program.

Are transfer students eligible for this program?

Because the program is currently designed for students to complete most Boise State requirements in three years from the start of their first semester, in general, transfer students may have difficulty constructing a plan. He/she should see an academic advisor as soon as possible.  If a student has earned college credit prior to high school graduation and is a first-time college student in a participating program, she/he should also see their academic advisor as soon as possible.

Can a student sign up with any major?

A list of majors with existing 3+3 plans is found in the web site. Some majors have admission processes in addition to admission to the university. It is critical that students interested in majors with admission processes and limited numbers of student accepted into the programs meet with an academic advisor early on to develop a plan.

Can a student complete a minor (along with the major) on this contract?

Yes. If the credits required for the minor fit within the elective credits of the major, a student can complete both the major and minor in the plan.

Can a student complete a double major?

Due to curriculum structure and program requirements, students wishing to earn a double major or dual degree may find creating a 3+3 plan difficult.  You can graduate in four years with a double major, but it also means you may not be participating in the 3+3 program.

What if a 3+3 student needs to take developmental courses or prerequisite courses prior to beginning their plan?

Developmental courses such as Math 25 do not count toward graduation credit; therefore, they do not count toward the credit requirements for the 3+3 Program. In addition, some majors, require that students be ready to take Calculus. If you need to take prerequisite or developmental courses, you may need to take summer courses to meet your program needs and/or you may have difficulty creating a 3+3 plan.

What happens if a 3+3 student elects to participate in an exchange program and/or internship?

Students are encouraged to participate in exchange programs and internships. Exchange and internship credits approved by Boise State may count toward academic progress under the plan, but must be completed within the three-year program period. Students need to contact their advisor to discuss feasibility as early as possible. (Remember, there is no penalty for finishing in more than three years.)

What about summer classes?

3+3 students may enroll in summer sessions to complete program requirements. This may allow for some adjustment in the fall and/or spring credit load.  The selected law program(s) need to have Boise State requirements completed before starting law classes.

What if a 3+3 student takes summer courses at another institution?

Summer transfer credits may count toward academic progress provided the student takes courses accepted by Boise State University in general education, elective credit requirements, or the student’s major. Students are responsible to discuss their plans with their advisor as early as possible to determine how anticipated transfer credits will fit into their degree plan. Transfer coursework must be reported to Boise State in a timely fashion.  Best advice: speak with the academic advisor first.

What if a 3+3 student needs to modify their plan?

As long as the student can still complete their Boise State plan in three years, modifications are possible.

Can 3+3 students change their major?

Students can change their major and still participate in the 3+3 program as long as the student can complete their Boise State requirements in three years (the clock doesn’t reset when you change your major).  3+3 students who wish to change their major must also move to a new major that participates in the 3+3 program.

What is the procedure if a 3+3 student asks to have the clock stopped?

The 3+3 clock may be stopped during a student’s enrollment at Boise State in the event of a serious health problem, family emergency, or approved leave of absence (e.g., church mission, pregnancy). All stop-out situations must be documented and approved by the Program Coordinator in order to stop the three-year clock.

What happens if a student does not fulfill the 3+3 program plan?

A student who does not fulfill the 3+3 Program plan experiences no penalty. Any student participating in the program for any length of time will benefit and should continue contact with an academic advisor.

What other rules or policies must a student be aware of at application?

Each participating law program has its own set of admission criteria. For example, participating students must be aware of all deadlines, GPA, and LSAT requirements for admission. Additionally, the student must be aware that, when LSAC calculates GPA, all grades and credits earned for repeated classes will be included in the GPA calculation reported to law programs if the course units and grades appear on the transcript. Consult with the Admission Counselors at Idaho and Concordia.

What happens if a student is not admitted to a law program?

It is possible for a 3+3 student to NOT be admitted to a participating law program. Participation in 3+3 is not a guarantee of entrance. Consult with our Academic Advisor and the 3+3 Coordinator.

Can a student voluntarily withdraw from the 3+3 program?

Yes. Students need to contact the 3+3 Coordinator, in writing, to withdraw from the program. Appropriate deadlines may also be set. Students should continue to have contact with an academic advisor. There are no penalties.

Where is the student enrolled during the first year of a law program?

Students are enrolled full-time in their law program not at Boise State University. This is important when considering student service needs such as Financial Aid and accommodations. Credits earned will transfer back to Boise State University.

What about the Boise State University residency requirement?

It is understood that completion of the first year of a participating law program will count toward the student’s residency requirement of 30 upper-division credits at Boise State University.