Alumni Spotlight: Allyanna Wintermote

Allyanna

Why Anthropology?

I chose Anthropology by the end of my freshman year after taking a couple of their 100 level courses.  I really enjoyed the mixture of science, sociology, and psychology that it had.  There are several disciplines that you can focus on within Anthropology.  I took a heavy load of classes related to the ‘culture’ side of anthropology because I knew that one day I wanted to work within student affairs. When I thought about it, Boise State University’s campus itself is a culture compared to the outside world, in this case Boise.
[clear]
[clear]

How did you Make College Count?

To get started, I utilized the Career Center.  I wanted to know about ways to be involved within my major.  This ended up leading me to an amazing research opportunity with a few of my professors and a fellow classmate. Before we graduated, we participated in the Undergraduate Research Conference.  Aside from this, I also minored in Leadership Studies.  This is when I found an internship within the Boise community called B.U.G.S. Boise Urban Garden School.  I was their social media intern.  This entailed keeping their followers up to date with events, coordinating advertisement ideas with a Boise State public relations class, and showcased our non-profit at different elementary schools.  Outside of academics I also attended Leadershape and was able to meet and make a lot of friends through this. It gave me a wonderful insight to other ways to be involved on campus.  Throughout my last two years as a student, I found a campus job where I gained insight in computer software troubleshooting and other technical skills.

How did you market/pitch your Anthropology degree when you applied for jobs?

When applying for jobs, I emphasized on the research I had done and the amount of work that was put in.  Whenever I list a skill such as ‘verbal’ or ‘written communication’ on a resume, I owe my degree a huge ‘Thank you!’. There were many classes where it was required to speak in front of more than 30 students on a certain topic, sometimes  accompanied by a group of fellow peers.  Then there were other times where we had the entire semester to write a research paper on an area we were passionate about.  Some of these papers could be more than 20 pages long!  In my current job within Admissions, written communication and public speaking are two very desired skills.  I also highlighted my abilities to work within groups and/or independently.  As a student, there were countless moments that involved working solo or with other students.  We had to learn how to focus on the same goal, trust one another and stay accountable for our own portion of the project.

How did you tell your story to employers?

First I’d explain some of the situations as the question above.  Then I would explain the new skills that grew out of it.  Also, I’d emphasize the doors that my academic opportunities opened for me, such as the research and internship. These opportunities had led to more professional networking and real life skills than I could have hoped for!

When did you know you wanted to work in Admissions?

I knew I wanted to work within Admissions during my second year at Boise State.  That is when I attended Leadershape and discovered the possibilities of working for a University.  Student Affairs is a very important part of an institution that can help with making a student’s experience at the University just that much better. It makes me happy every day that I have the opportunity to help.

How did you decide what you wanted to do?

I decided that I need to do more as a student than simply going to class and going home.  I stepped out of my comfort zone by seeking out involvement opportunities, doing an internship, working side by side with a professor, and meeting new people with different perspectives than my own. By doing all of this, I learned more about myself and what I was truly passionate about, which is Student Affairs.

What advice do you have for Arts & Sciences students?

Get to know your professors.  They’ve been in your shoes before and they want to see you succeed.  Take the time to get to know them.  One day they could be writing a letter of recommendation for you, sending a letter to a graduate school of your choice, or your name could come up in a positive conversation they’re having with someone.  Take advantage of the opportunities around you, whether that be studying abroad, doing an internship, starting an organization on campus, etc.  You’ll remember your four years here for the rest of your life, so make it count!