COAS Strategic Plan: Building for the Future, 2021-26

(NOTE: This content was originally sent to all COAS faculty and staff on Sept. 23, 2021 via email.)

Blueprint for Success: Building for the Future, COAS 2021-26 website

I write in hopes that you will be willing to join me for the first phase of conversation about the College’s strategic plan: Building for the Future, 2021-26.

The Provost has asked colleges to create a strategic plan this academic year, and I’d like to move efficiently despite the myriad pressures on faculty and staff at the moment. I recognize that you continue to face a heavier workload than ever before because of pandemic-associated challenges, and that new campus systems on top of that make your time incredibly precious. I will say that one of the things at work that I find most regenerative is planning for the future of our community. I also think restating what matters to us most is a positive response to the prolonged uncertainty we’ve faced, and I want and need your help to do that.

To that end, I’ll be hosting three conversation sessions by Zoom next week. Invitations to those sessions will follow immediately. As you consider whether you can make time for this effort, here’s what you can expect during the conversation:

• An overview of the university’s Blueprint for Success;

• An update on the four college working groups—membership and initial goals—and how I’m hoping these groups can accelerate our work around student success; graduate programming; research and creative activity; and budget, innovation and operations;

• Time to share how you see your departments and individual work relating to a college strategic plan;

• What do you want to be sure the working groups and college leadership understands, and what do you hope to see reflected back in the plan?

• And an opportunity to comment on draft mission and vision statements for the college.

And if a synchronous session just isn’t possible for right now, I’d be grateful if you would contribute your feedback another way. We’ll create an online form where you can share your thoughts on the key topics slated for discussion, and we’ll also make recordings of the sessions available on the COAS website should you want to review parts or all of the conversations as you formulate your responses.

Thank you in advance for being able to contribute in whatever way you can, and if you can’t right now, there will be additional opportunities for feedback in the coming weeks.

Wishing you all the best,

Leslie