Student Story Featuring Holly Syreen, Class of 2022

Where did you grow up?

Just outside Philadelphia, PA.

What is something unique about you?

In 2021 I read 71 books, barely beating my dad for the very first time (and setting a new record for myself).

What do you like to do for fun?

Cozy up on the couch with a dog and a book, go to sporting events or shows, and go bird-watching. 

What is your current professional role and place of employment?

I am managing the mid-level team in our Donor Relations department at Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF).

What does your job entail? What do you like most?

I get to build relationships with people that are passionate about the mission of MAF and help them make a difference around the world. As a manager I get to help my teammates succeed in their roles, whether it’s providing them resources or training, breaking down barriers, or driving strategy. The best part of my day is when I get to talk with our awesome donors.

Why did you decide to pursue Boise State’s Professional MBA program?

I love learning, and after living in the world of nonprofits for a decade, I had a lot of questions. The areas I was weakest in were on the business side, so though I always intended to stay in the nonprofit sector, I decided an MBA would fill in the knowledge gaps. I chose the in-person Boise State program because I’m best motivated by others and by being part of a team. I knew I’d have a better chance of finishing the program if I was part of a cohort.

In your opinion, what has been the most impactful part about the Professional MBA program?

The most impactful part of the program was achieving this massive goal along with my cohort and teammates. The camaraderie, accountability, and support showed me that I can achieve aggressive (and seemingly impossible) goals if I have a great team built on shared commitment and trust. The broad overview of so many areas of business was also impactful – giving me a taste of areas that would be difficult to experience on the job.

Tell us about how you balance work, life and school. What are your tips for success?

The biggest thing I did from the very beginning was to set aside one night a week where I didn’t do any work or school work. For me this was Friday nights and I strictly protected that for time with my family. Second, before my program started I stepped away from most of my commitments and responsibilities outside work and family. And third, I prioritized one or two low-commitment hobbies that I knew would help me stay sane. 

Since starting the Professional MBA, how has the program impacted your leadership abilities, work performance and / or career advancement?

I have learned so much in this program, and I know that it has improved my work performance over the past few years. I have experienced two promotions during this program. I believe those would have happened even if I hadn’t been pursuing this degree, however, I do know I am more confident and better equipped to make the most of them.

What is your post-MBA plan (can be personal and/or professional!)?

I have no desire to leave the nonprofit sector (or my current organization) at this time. I am embracing my new leadership role and excited to bring a new level of excellence to my work. Personally, I’m looking forward to rediscovering what ‘boredom’ feels like (just for a short time).