Admission To Upper Division Policy
Effective Date: December 7, 2017
Admission To Upper Division Form
Admission to Upper Division
The first two years of the curriculum are considered to be lower-division and the two remaining years, upper-division. Students must apply for upper-division status in Civil Engineering in order to be admitted to selected upper-division civil engineering courses. Factors considered include grades in selected lower-division courses and a reflective statement of what subfield of civil engineering you may want to enter after graduation (this is not a final choice). Upper-division status is only a prerequisite for CE 320, CE 340, CE 352, CE 360, and CE 370.
To gain upper-division status you must have:
- completed 45 semester credits
- passed the following courses with an average of 2.30 or better
- CE 280 Civil Engineering Case Studies
- CHEM 112 General Chemistry II
- CE 350 Mechanics of Materials
- MATH 275 Multivariable and Vector Calculus
- MATH 333 Differential Equations with Matrix Theory
- MATH 360 Engineering Statistics or MATH 361 Probability and Statistics I *
*Note: CE 282 will still be accepted for those students following the 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016, 2016-2017, or 2017-2018 catalogs
- filed a two to three-paragraph reflective statement of what civil engineering subfield you may want to enter upon graduation and why.
You may apply in the semester you are finishing the above requirements. If you do, your application will be reviewed at the end of that semester.