MSE Undergraduate Programs
The MSE Bachelors of Science Program and accompanying Minor in Materials Science & Engineering exist to provide accessible, high quality, nationally recognized education in materials science and engineering that prepares students for productive careers, further graduate study, and lifelong learning.
To learn more about the undergraduate program, reach out to the COEN Advising & Outreach Center
Within a few years of graduation, materials science and engineering graduates will be:
- Fully qualified as materials engineers, with an ability to adapt and progress in a rapidly changing field.
- Well-rounded individuals who both understand the principles and can undertake the practice of the science and engineering of materials.
- Able to operate as effective engineers or scientists in materials industries, academia, or related fields.
At the time of graduation, materials science and engineering students will possess:
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics.
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations, and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives.
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions.
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies