University Pulse Radio Welcomes All, Encourages Diverse Perspectives

Kevin Sievers fell in love with sports talk radio as a kid in New York. His favorite on-air personalities broke down the teams’ wins and losses, dissected players’ strengths and weaknesses, analyzed the season and made big predictions about upcoming games. Nowadays you’re just as likely to find him on his own sports talk show, The Sportz Azylum, where he tackles many of the same topics.  Sievers shares his passion for sports with a small audience via Boise State’s University Pulse Radio, a student-run, internet-based, open format station. Now with two years’ experience behind the mic, Sievers has his sights set on bigger things in the future.

“Hopefully, with the experience I’ve gotten here, the connections within the college and within the station, it could help me fulfill my dreams,” he said. “I actually might be able to get paid to talk about sports.”

University Pulse Radio General Manager Kelsie Rose says that possibilities for students, faculty or staff of all disciplines to get involved are nearly unlimited.

“I would really like to highlight that there is a space for all interests here,” said Rose. “We believe in getting a wide variety of diverse perspectives, and we think that’s the best way to do it.”

Rose currently oversees 42 producers – 18 of whom are in training – producing 22 live shows and two podcasts. The BSU senior and Media Arts major said providing participants with a creative outlet is a key component of the program.

University Pulse Radio’s open format helps to ensure creative freedom for participants as well.

“I’ve always wanted to be on the radio,” said Rose, who still co-produces a show about college and campus life. “What really attracted me to this was that I was allowed to do a show the way I wanted to do it. It’s free-form radio, so we’re not limited to what we play or what we talk about. It’s just a great experience to be a part of.”

Sievers, a BSU senior and Communication major, agrees.

“I love being able to talk about a subject that I’m super interested in,” he said. “So, if you’re a biology major, and you want to talk about biology … do it. There’s going to be people out there that are going to be able to connect with you, which is also something really good about working in radio, working for The Pulse, is being able to connect with people.”

To listen to University Pulse Radio online, go to universitypulse.com or find it on the Radio FX app. To get involved and find your voice, contact pulsegm@stumedia.boisestate.edu.

###