Service-Learning Faculty Learning Community
What is the Service-Learning Faculty Learning Community (FLC)?
An FLC is composed of cross-disciplinary faculty members committed to working together to reflect upon their teaching and provide feedback to one another. This Service-Learning FLC is designed for faculty who are new/newer to Service-Learning (SL), including instructors who are designing or revising a new SL class or teaching an established class that already includes SL. The FLC will inspire and equip faculty to use SL best practices in a manageable way. It carves out time for instructors to prepare, reflect, and revise how SL will strengthen SL outcomes for students and the community. The FLC experience includes mentoring and a supportive community to stretch and achieve individual goals. Participants receive a $300 stipend.
Elizabeth Barnes, Service-Learning Faculty Associate and Lecturer in the English Department and
Kara Brascia, Director of Service-Learning
Participants will be able to do the following:
- Effectively integrate service with course assignments and discussions
- Facilitate students’ SL participation in manageable ways
- Navigate student and community partner SL expectations and experiences.
Participants will be expected to:
- Attend six 90 minute sessions (either in person or on Zoom).
- Complete readings and activities prior to each meeting.
- Participate in an observation of one another’s classes as a way of seeing SL in action.
- Produce a deliverable. This might be a syllabus, revised assignment, or a different way of evaluating or reflecting on SL and its effectiveness.
The Service-Learning FLC will meet in person (or Zoom) for six 90 minute weekly sessions on Wednesdays 9:45-11:15am, Sept. 22-Oct. 27.
All faculty (including adjuncts, lecturers, research, and tenure-line faculty) are eligible to apply.
To apply to participate, please complete this application form.
For full consideration, applications should be submitted online by May 10th, 2021, but will be accepted until the FLC is filled (email KaraBrascia@boisestate.edu)
Selection for the Fall 2021 SL FLC will be determined by May 31st.
Participants will be selected based on their level of engagement (current or proposed) with Service-Learning, interest in working within a faculty learning community, and ability to commit to participation and attendance at meetings and other important dates.