Skip to main content

Respondent Information

Stock image of Boise State branded items including notebook, coffee tumbler and phone case next to laptop

Did you receive a notice stating that you may have been involved in a violation of the Student Code of Conduct? First, take a deep breath! Second, read the notice carefully to ensure you know when and where your appointment will be held. Make note of your hearing officer’s name. Contact your hearing officer ASAP if you need to reschedule your appointment. Bring questions you have to your meeting and the hearing officer will be sure to answer them!

What to Expect

Most conduct incidents are addressed through an Administrative Conference. In these cases, you will meet with a hearing officer where you will be able to share your perspective of the incident and the hearing officer will ask you questions in order to get a complete understanding of the situation. At the conclusion of this meeting, you will receive a decision notice within 10 business days.

Should your conduct incident be addressed through a Conduct Hearing Board, a Student Conduct Administrator will provide additional details regarding the process and timeline (also outlined in Student Code of Conduct, Section 6).

Search below for common answers to our frequently asked questions.

Search our FAQs

What happens next?

Respondent Advisor

Respondent Advisors are available for all students to seek support from; however, the main goal of the Respondent Advisor Program is to help students navigate the Conduct/Academic Appeal Process and higher level conduct violations (those that may potentially result in suspension and/or expulsion).

Learn more about the Respondent Advisor Program.

Support Resources

All students are permitted a support person/advisor to attend any conduct meeting/hearing. Should you need to reschedule a conduct meeting in order to have your support person/advisor present, you should contact the Student Conduct Administrator as soon as possible. Accommodations will be made if possible. In general, Conduct Board Hearings are not able to be rescheduled to accommodate a support person/advisor. You are not required to have a support person/advisor, and conduct meetings/hearings will proceed with or without an advisor.

For more information about the role of a support person/advisor, or to contact a University trained advisor, see our Respondent Advisor Program.

Potential Outcomes/Sanctioning

Your hearing officer will determine whether or not you have violated the Student Code of Conduct. The outcome will be sent via email within 10 business days of your Administrative Conference. If you are found “Not Responsible”, the incident will be closed. If you receive a “Responsible” violation, your letter will outline educational sanctions which must be completed by the stated due dates. Types of sanctions vary depending on the severity of the violation and are outlined in the Student Code of Conduct, Section 7.

For information about common sanctions for alcohol and drug violations, visit “Sanctioning“.

For information on how to complete your Community Service Hours, checkout our explanation page.

Can I Appeal the outcome?

Students found in violation of the Student Code of Conduct are able to appeal the violation and/or the sanction(s) within 10 business days of the outcome notice. In order to file an appeal, you must submit the Student Conduct Appeal form or Title IX Appeal form with a written statement explaining your reason(s) for appeal. Once the appeal is received by the Office of the Dean of Students, it will be reviewed by a Hearing Officer and a decision rendered within 10 business days of review. For incidents which have resulted in suspension or expulsion, appeals will be reviewed by an Appeal Board composed of 5 members including a combination of faculty, staff, and students.

Conduct Record Maintenance

How long are Conduct Records held?

Conduct records are maintained by The Office of the Dean of Students for 7 years, with the exception of incidents resulting in suspension or expulsion which are maintained indefinitely. Information about student conduct records may be disclosed to external entities with the written consent from the student involved. Conduct records may be disclosed to other University officials on a need-to-know case-by-case basis (ex: Financial Aid and Registrar’s Office may need to be informed of a student’s conduct record to move forward with processes in those areas).Do my parents have access to my conduct record?

Student conduct records are considered part of your educational record, and therefore, they are covered under FERPA. In order to provide your parents with access to your conduct record, you will need to submit a Release of Information form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office.

Amnesty Protocol

What is Amnesty Protocol?

The Amnesty Protocol is in place to address situations that may involve illegal activities, such as underage drinking and/or drug use, BUT also involve help seeking behavior(s) for those in need of medical assistance.

Learn more about the Amnesty Protocol


Why do I have a “judicial sanction” hold on my account?

Judicial sanction holds may be placed for a few different reasons. Here are some questions to ask yourself before contacting

  • Did I complete my assigned conduct sanctions by the stated deadline?
    • If you submitted your sanctions less than 48 hours ago, take a breath! It is likely that your Hearing Officer has not yet reviewed your submission(s). You will receive email notification stating that your sanction(s) is complete or if there is additional information needed to satisfy the sanction.
    • If it has been more than 48 hours since your submission, please email for an update.

Did I receive notification of a scheduled meeting and I did not attend the meeting?

If you were assigned a meeting with a Hearing Officer but did not attend the meeting, the Hearing Officer may have placed the hold until the meeting can be conducted. Please call the Office of the Dean of Students at (208) 426-1527 to reschedule the meeting. In order to expedite this process please have the name of the Hearing Officer ready.

Classroom Dismissal

I can be permanently dismissed from class?

Instructors, in fulfilling their professional and contractual obligations, may dismiss students from courses consistent with university policy.

Back To Top