Kayla Griffin

Meet Communication Graduate Student, Kayla Griffin who explains why her Comm degree helped to bridge the gap between an education and her dreams.

Kayla Griffin

“All I have ever wanted to do with my life is rescue animals and paint. I chose a degree in Communication because it was the only department that allowed me to pursue any dream. I learned applicable skills such as: public speaking, presenting, debate and logic, contemporary issues, and rhetoric.”

At first she worried about limitations, that she wouldn’t be able to do the things she truly loved. However, as an undergraduate Kayla was hired by Zoo Boise to work with endangered species and in conservation just because she was able to communicate with visitors in a way that biologist couldn’t. She translated jargon into common language, leaving visitors more empowered to protect endangered species. She enjoyed ding fun things with Zoo Boise, such as feeding new born coatis, cleaning the penguin pool, and even running the butterfly exhibit.

“Art is communication, so it makes sense to have an educated background in communication. How people construct shared meaning is a valuable thing to understand. That alone can take you anywhere! I love communication scholarship so much I’ve begun to pursue my Graduate Degree.”