Ali Hardy

March 19, 2018

Graduating from the Department of Communication in 2012 with a BA in Communication and a Public Relations certificate, Ali used her degree to accomplish professional goals in public relations.

While enrolled at Boise State, Ali remained active in BSU’s chapter of PRSSA, a professional student organization for aspiring PR pros. She held several positions on the executive board, including president from 2011-2012.

“This experience was especially valuable, as it gave me real, practical PR experience. I talked to media, organized events, and even partnered with Cotton for their From Blue to Green campaign on campus. My on-campus involvement led to friendships, professional connections, experience, skills, and internships. I can’t say enough stellar things about my student org experience.”

Ali put her PR certificate and internship experience to work and defined a career path to be a successful PR professional. Both the degree and certificate enhanced her resume and helped set her apart during interview processes.

“Overall, the most significant and useful thing that my degree gave me was a strong set of writing skills. As part of my job I write every day, and my course work truly challenged me to become a better writer. There are probably some papers I turned in to my professors at BSU that I hope never see the light of day again, but I truly grew as a writer at Boise State. I owe that to instructors who deliberately challenged me (tears were shed) and I’m better for those assignments and opportunities.”

Currently, Ali works for Zions Bank in downtown Boise as Public Relations Officer. Her role takes her to all corners of the Gem State, from Lewiston to Rexburg. She executes strategic communication activities, which includes media relations, managing major PR events, supporting marketing and internal communication efforts and leading community outreach.

“Needless to say, no two days are the same. I recognize now that my education and experience was a daily reminder to accomplish my goals and enhance the community around me.”

Since graduating from Boise State in 2012, Ali held positions with a few different organizations in the treasure valley, from nonprofit to public to corporate, each of which gave her valuable experience in PR. Her career highlights range from organizing a large PR event at the State Capitol, doing PR for the Sun Valley Film Festival, and writing for a Golden Spike Award-winning lifestyle magazine, to arranging a press conference on the steps of the Seattle City Hall.

“At times, I’ve found myself at an event surrounded by community leaders, celebrities, aspiring entrepreneurs or singing children and I’m reminded that this is my day job. It’s not always art shows, films and ribbon cuttings, but it is always rewarding. On the elevator up to my office the other day a coworker said to me, ‘Your job seems like a lot of fun,’ and I didn’t disagree with her.”