(208) 426-1232 | LA-211C
Jeff Westover teaches American literature, concentrating on the twentieth century. His research focuses on poetry, and his book The Colonial Moment: Discoveries and Settlements in Modern American Poetry, was named an outstanding academic title by Choice magazine in 2005.
- Ph.D., English, Boston College
- M.A., English, Northeastern University
- B.A., English, Hiram
Poetry, modern and contemporary American literature
- “Elizabeth Bishop’s Perspectives on Marriage.” Elizabeth Bishop and the Literary Archive, edited by Dr. Bethany Hicok, Lever Press, 2019, pp. 65-79. https://doi.org/10.3998/mpub.11649332.Open Access
- “Story, Discourse, and the Voice of the Other in W.S. Merwin’s The Folding Cliffs,” Genre, vol. 52, no. 1 (2019): 51-75. https://doi.org/10.1215/00166928-7501016
- “Repression, Renewal, and the Race of Women in H.D.’s Ion” in Classics in Modernist Translation, edited by Miranda Hickman and Lynn Kozak, Bloomsbury Academic, 2019, pp. 77-90. ISBN 9781350040953.
- “Media, Mimesis, and the Figure of the Orphan in William Carlos Williams’s Life Along the Passaic River,” William Carlos Williams Review 31.1 (Spring 2014): 53-77.
- “Voicing Political Justice and Personal Dignity in African American Sonnets” in A Companion to Poetic Genre. Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture. Ed. Erik Martiny. Blackwell, 2012. 234-49. (7,000 words). Peer-reviewed.
- “Poetry: 1900 to the 1950s,” American Literary Scholarship: An Annual 2013 (Duke University Press, 2015). pp. 343-371.
- Review of Charles Altieri’s Wallace Stevens and the Demands of Modernity (Cornell, 2013), Style 49.4 (2015): 561-565.
- “The Grace of the Daily,” 3,100-word review of Siobhan Phillips’ The Poetics of the Everyday, in Twentieth-Century Literature 58.3 (Fall 2012): 532-39. Published April 2013.
- ENGL 385 Studies in Poetry
- ENGL 387 Modern and Contemporary American Literature
- ENGL 530 Studies in a LIterary (Twentieth Century American Literature, Modern Poetry, Contemporary Poetry)
- ENGL 520 Studies in a Literary (literature & culture course, focusing on imperialism)
- Personal website: http://jeffreywestover.weebly.com/