Director of Teaching English Language Arts, Co-Director Boise State Writing Project
Since 2008, I have been an English educator at Boise State University, as well as Co-Director of the Boise State Writing Project. I taught seventh and eighth grade English Language Arts students in St. Charles, Illinois (1994-2003) and in Fairfield, Ohio (1992-1994).
I am a member of the National Writing Project (NWP), the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), the American Educational Research Association (AERA), and the Conference of English Education (CEE) where I serve as co-chair of the Writing Teacher Education commission.
My scholarship focuses on the ways in which teachers learn, especially in communities such as the classroom, school, or professional networks.
- Ph.D., Curriculum, Teaching, and Educational Policy, Michigan State University
- M.A., Writing, DePaul University
- M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, North Central College
- B.A., English, Indiana University
- “Resources Preservice Teachers Use to Think About Student Writing.” Research in the Teaching of English. Accepted May 2015. Published in 2016. with Leah Zuidema.
- So, What’s the Story?: Teaching Narrative to Understand Ourselves, Others, and the World by James E Fredricksen, Jeffrey D Wilhelm, and Michael W Smith. Published by Heinemann.
- Oh, Yeah?!: Putting Argument to Work Both in School and Out by Michael W Smith, Jeffrey D Wilhelm and James E Fredricksen. Published by Heinemann.
- Get it Done!: Writing and Analyzing Informational Texts to Make Things Happen by Jeffrey D Wilhelm, Michael W Smith and James E Fredricksen. Published by Heinemann.