(208) 426-4236 | LA 252A
Michal Temkin Martinez joined the Boise State English department in 2009. She is the founding director of the Mary Ellen Ryder Linguistics Lab and the director of the linguistics program. Her research interests span experimental, formal, and documentary linguistics as well as the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). Her dissertation and consequent research, on Modern Hebrew, includes the integration of perception and production experimental data collection with current phonological theory. Her more recent work also includes an approach integrating experimental and traditional descriptive methods to the documentation of languages spoken in Boise, Idaho by those who arrived as refugees.
Michal currently serves as Associate Editor (with Dr. Kazuko Hiramatsu) of the Teaching Linguistics section of the Linguistic Society of America’s flagship journal Language. Michal and Kazuko also serve as co-PIs on a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant for capacity building in SoTL in linguistics by facilitating a Faculty Learning Community whose goal is to help foster scholarly teaching in linguistics.
Michal enjoys mentorship and teaching opportunities outside the classroom, and has served as advisor to the Linguistic Society of Boise State, a Faculty In Residence for the Arts and Sciences Residential College and the Honors College, a faculty mentor for several Honors theses and Student Research Program projects, and has supervised over 70 undergraduate interns since 2010.
- Ph.D., Linguistics, University of Southern California
- M.A., Linguistics, California State University, Northridge
- B.A., Linguistics, California State University, Northridge
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL), phonetics and phonology, psycholinguistics, language documentation, laboratory phonology
- Hiramatsu, Kazuko and Michal Temkin Martinez (eds.). 2021. Proceedings of the Linguistic Society of America – Special issue: Scholarly Teaching in the Age of COVID-19 and Beyond.
- Hiramatsu, Kazuko and Michal Temkin Martinez. 2021. Publishing in the Teaching Linguistics section of Language. Language 97(2). 406-408.
- Dayley, Jon P., Mwaliko Mberwa, Michal Temkin Martinez. 2020. Chizigula-English/English Chizigula Dictionary. Published online at: http://somali-chizigula.webonary.org/
- Temkin Martinez, Michal, Gail Shuck & Tim Thornes (eds.). 2018. Western Conference on Linguistics (WECOL) 2017. Fresno State University Publications: Fresno, CA.
- Temkin Martinez, Michal and Vanessa Rosenbaum (undergraduate student). 2017. Acoustic and Aerodynamic Data for Somali Chizigula Stops. In Kandybowicz, Jason and Harold Torrence (eds.) Africa’s Endangered Languages: Documentary and Theoretical Approaches. Oxford U. Press.
- Soelberg, Terri, Michal Temkin Martinez, Mikal Black, and Pamela Springer. 2015b. Training African Refugee Interpreters for Health Related Research. Online Journal of Cultural Competence in Nursing and Healthcare.
- Black, Mikal, Pamela Springer, Terri Soelberg, and Michal Temkin Martinez. 2015a. Health Conditions of Post Resettlement African Refugees in Boise, ID. Online Journal of Cultural Competence in Nursing and Healthcare.
- LING 305: Introduction to Language Studies
- LING 307: Linguistics in Education
- LING 312: Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology
- LING 406: Psycholinguistics
- LING 498: Linguistics Capstone – Field Methods
- HON 198/498: Honors College Seminars
- HON 392: Honors Colloquium – Language and Mind