Am I eligible?
All currently enrolled Boise State University undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, faculty, staff, and community members may apply to exhibit their work as a complete show in the Student Union galleries. Traveling and collaborative shows are also eligible under a shared application with a lead contact acting as the organizer for your group. Selected exhibitors must agree to display their work for an approximate 2-month exhibition period (8 weeks).
How will my application be evaluated?
The Student Union Arts Advisory Board will support the Student Union in evaluating your exhibition application as follows:
- We carefully review each application on its own merit and look for originality, quality, cohesiveness, and a distinct and passionate artistic point of view. We select applications for exhibition that are challenging, interesting, and inspiring of dialog and interaction from students, faculty, and community members who visit the Student Union.
- We give first preference to quality applications from current undergraduate and graduate students, followed by members of the Boise State (alumni, faculty and staff), then external community applicants.
- We consider additional factors including show size and scope, relevance to with current events on campus and in the community, as well as the availability of the applicant(s) to exhibit. We will always consider applications that are submitted according to the priority deadline. Late submissions will be contacted only if there is a vacant space within the gallery.
The Student Union exhibition series includes between 10 to 12 full exhibitions per academic year, with additional pop-up exhibitions around campus.
What is expected of me as an artist exhibiting in the Student Union Galleries?
- Abide by university policies and guidelines
- Communicate and consult regularly and professionally with curatorial staff. Groups exhibiting will appoint one point of contact
- Provide artwork that is ready to hang and which is available for display during the entire exhibition duration, as well as any specialty installation components, including but not limited to projectors, screens, etc…
- Provide a description of the show, an itemized list of selected artwork, up to 5 digital images for promotional purposes, and artist(s) bio(s)
- Arrange and pay for any/all delivery and transport of the artwork to and from the exhibition space
- Return 40% of revenue from sales of any exhibition artwork during the exhibition period
What can I expect of the galleries while I am exhibiting?
- Communicate and consult regularly and professionally with the artist/exhibitor
- Develop, design, and execute a promotions plan for the exhibition within budget specifications
- Installation (with standard hardware and interpretive signage) and deinstall exhibition
- Provide university insurance coverage for exhibited artwork not to exceed $500,000 per the University’s requirements.
- Coordinate a free and public exhibition reception, with budget and arrangements for catering from Aramark
What standards are in place for health, safety, and public display?
- Student Union staff will curate and install the exhibition, with consultation and support from the exhibitor.
- Student Union staff will light the exhibition, with consultation from the exhibitor.
- Selected artwork may not stain, damage, prohibit ingress and egress, or cause excessive audio disruption to the facility, equipment, or surrounding meeting rooms.
- Student Union staff will review installation methods of securing, hanging, and attaching any and all artwork. This may include an assessment of size, weight, and any specialty hardware intended for use during the exhibition process.
- Student Union staff may review and screen, prior to opening, any exhibition or part thereof that may be considered unsafe, inappropriate for public display, and/or in direct conflict with Boise State University’s shared values. Please note that the gallery is designated a free speech space as per University policy.
- Student Union will observe all ADA requirements for arrangement and museum display of artworks.