Student Organization Handbook – Section I. F.
Section I. Student Organization Recognition
F. Membership Requirements
Membership requirements vary between different types of organizations recognized by the university. Please read the following for the requirements for your organization.
Membership requirements for student organizations are as follows:
- Student organizations must have at least three (3) Boise State University students as members.
- At least 80% of the total membership shall be fee-paying students of Boise State University, maintain a minimum of 3 credit hours and be in compliance with all Boise State policies.
- Some student organizations may further define and limit their membership based upon nondiscriminatory practices. Examples of further limitations include restrictions permitted under Title IX, limiting membership to Boise State University students, or appropriate grade point average requirements for honor societies.
- Non-Boise State University students may join a student organization as non-voting members at the discretion of the organization. Student organizations may not discriminate against nonstudent members in a manner prohibited by law.
- Student organizations will not be denied registration solely because they limit leadership positions to students who share the same beliefs, values, and purposes. These groups, however, may not discriminate in leadership on any basis which is prohibited by law or by the University non-discrimination policy (i.e., age, ethnicity, gender, disability, color, national origin, race, sexual orientation, veteran status). The exclusive remedy for leadership discipline or removal issues asserted on the basis of purported failure to uphold the beliefs, values, and purposes of the student organization by a group leader, if any, shall be the leadership removal and election in its constitution and such processes shall be consistent with the requirements of the applicable policy. The Student Involvement and Leadership Center may hear appeals based on procedural issues which arise in that removal and election process as defined in policies of Associated Students of Boise State University, but may not hear substantive issues. All other student conduct issues are to be addressed by Boise State University student conduct policy.
- Student organizations may be affiliated with non-Boise State University entities, such as professional organizations, inter/national fraternities/sororities, honor societies or community organizations. Typically, these external entities are non-profit organizations. Payment of dues and/or fees as a condition of affiliation is permissible. However, if a Boise State University student organization wishes to affiliate with a for–profit external entity, it can do so provided that dues and/or fees are not required as a condition of affiliation.
- Only currently enrolled Boise State University students may serve as officers.
- To serve as an officer (other than the president or similar position) of an organization, students must have and maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average and carry a minimum of three (3) credits.
- The president (or similar position) must be a full fee-paying student at Boise State University and maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average.
- The organization must have a president (or similar role) and treasurer/financial officer (or similar role).
- All current organization officers must have OrgSync profiles.
Club Sports Council
Membership requirements for the Club Sports Council are as follows:
- All officers of the Club Sport Council must be full fee-paying students of Boise State University.
- All voting members of the Club Sport Council must be fee-paying undergraduate or graduate students of Boise State University, carry a minimum of three (3) credit hours and shall be current in the payment of dues as specified by the bylaws, officers, and membership of individual Club Sports of which they are members.
- All members of the Club Sport Council must abide by the provisions of the constitution and bylaws of the organization.
- Boise State University faculty, staff and community members may be associate members of the Club Sport Council, but may not vote or hold office.
Membership Requirements for Club Sports:
- The Club Sport must be recognized by one of the following organizations: the National High School Federation, the NCAA, or the Olympic committee and must have a national governing body.
- The Club Sport must have a minimum of full-time students as officers.
- All Club Sports must have representation at a Campus Recreation “Get Organized” meeting; a “Wrap Up” meeting; and at Club Sports Council meetings.
- The entire membership of the Club Sport must be members of Campus Recreation.
- All Club Sports must perform two philanthropy projects not associated with their sport.
- All members of the Club Sport must have medical insurance.
- All members of the Club Sport must submit emergency contact information on an “Emergency Card” to Campus Recreation.
- All Club Sport members must sign and submit a “Release of Liability” form to Campus Recreation.
Social Sororities and Fraternities
Membership requirements for Social Sororities and Fraternities are the same as the requirements of student organizations, but also include:
- Active membership in a Social Sorority or Fraternity is limited to current Boise State students.
Memberships for Student Agencies:
- Student Agencies have different membership requirements. Some groups undergo an interview process while other groups undergo an appointing or voting process. Please review the guiding documents for your organization’s membership requirements.
- Only Boise State University students may be members of these student organizations.
- Personal beliefs or viewpoint specific beliefs may not be used as criteria for membership or for eligibility to hold an officer position, except that officers may be limited to students who share the beliefs, values, and purposes of the organization.