Skip to main content

Academic Information for exchange students

All undergraduate areas (except Nursing and Kinesiology) are open to exchange students. Business courses require proof of prerequisites for upper-division courses. Mechanical Engineering requires pre-approval by the Center for Global Education. Art requires program admission and a portfolio. You can read more about course registration here.

The fall semester typically runs from late-August to mid-December. The spring semester typically runs from mid-January to early-May. The complete academic calendar can be found here.

How to Register

You will register for courses in your Student Account in your My.BoiseState account. You will be sent instructions to log into your My.BoiseState account when you are officially accepted into Boise State. Once you log into your Student Account, you will be able to search for classes and enroll as well. You can find instructions on how to register for classes here.

If you are enrolling in a course that has prerequisites, you must obtain a permission number from the instructor in order to register. To do this, email the instructor, explain that you are an exchange student and tell them what course or courses you have taken at your home school that meet the prerequisites. It is helpful to attach a scanned copy of your transcript to the email, so the instructor can see the courses you have taken. If you would like assistance with this, please contact Keith Quatraro,

It is very important that you register for classes as soon as possible. Classes fill up and once a class is full, you cannot add the class.  This may be different from your home country.

How to Read a Course Description

The course description will give you important information as you decide which classes to take. You can find out how to read a course description here. The course description will indicate the term in which a course is typically offered as well as the prerequisites that you need to meet in order to take the course. Please note that the course catalog does not guarantee that the course will be offered in the desired term as it is subject to change.

Course Load Requirements

International students must take a minimum of 12 credits. This typically equates to four classes worth three credits each. Other exchange students have felt this course load kept them very busy while studying here. You may not take fewer than 12 credits, but you can take up to 15 credits without paying additional fees.

For details, see J1 Exchange Student Visa Information.