Skip to main content

Health insurance information

All international students who are not on a government sponsorship, will be automatically enrolled in a health insurance plan. The  insurance coverage for Fall 2020; Spring 2021/Summer 2021, will be provided by First Health PPO Network.  Coverage will now be year round with summer included in the spring costs.  The Fall 2020 cost is $705. The spring/summer coverage will be $987. Please download the Plan Highlights more information.

If you are interested in seeing some of the details of the plan, please go here: You’ll see a page titled, “Relation, Welcome to your plan

  • Click the drop-down on School/Organization and select Boise State University.
  • Click the drop-down in the Select Your Plan button and choose International Student Insurance Plan.
  • Click the View Your Plan button.
  • From here you’ll be able to learn how to access your insurance ID card, see a Plan Snapshot of your coverage  and  find out how to use your insurance plan. Use your student ID to login.

Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Is insurance for international students mandatory?

Yes, this is a mandatory plan. All Boise State students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students are required to be insured, a requirement enforced by the federal government pursuant to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Because most students studying in the U.S. on F, J, Q and M visas have non-resident alien tax status, they are generally not required to comply with the ACA. In other words, all students are required to have health insurance; the difference is in how we are enforcing this.

I already have insurance, do I have to take this  plan?

Yes, all international students, except sponsored students (those sponsored by KCO and SACM) will be enrolled in the plan.

Can I waive or appeal this coverage?

Waivers are not allowed for international students enrolled at Boise State and are living in the U.S.

Due to the COVID-19 measures that are currently in effect, international students studying remotely from outside the U.S. for the duration of the insurance coverage period can request an ISHIP waiver using this Health-Insurance-Waiver-Spring-2021.pdf. Please follow form submission instructions carefully. Late submissions will not be accepted.

Where can I get more information about the insurance plan?

You can find information here International Insurance Plan

I am a graduate assistant. How does this impact me?

International students with graduate assistantships should contact the Graduate College for details about insurance.