All international students registered for at least one credit, will be automatically enrolled in a mandatory health insurance plan.
The insurance coverage for Fall 2022; Spring 2023/Summer 2023, will be provided by Cigna. Coverage is year round with summer included in the spring costs. The fall cost is $714.28. The spring/summer coverage will be $989.72. Please download Insurance Snapshot more information.
If you are interested in seeing some of the details of the plan, please go here: You’ll see a page titled, “Relation, Welcome to your plan”
- Click the drop-down on School/Organization and select Boise State University.
- Click the drop-down in the Select Your Plan button and choose International Student Insurance Plan.
- Click the View Your Plan button.
- From here you’ll be able to learn how to access your insurance ID card, see a Plan Snapshot of your coverage and find out how to use your insurance plan. Use your student ID to login.
- Please note: International students on specific sponsorship programs (KCO and SACM) must submit their current and valid financial guarantees or Financial Support Letters to email@example.com no later than 10 days after each semester’s start date in order to be exempted from this mandatory plan. If sponsorship verification is not received by that date, the student will be automatically enrolled in and charged for Boise State University’s health insurance plan. We are unable to remove insurance fees after that date.
Insurance Frequently Asked Questions
Is insurance for international students mandatory?
Yes, this is a mandatory plan. All Boise State students are required to have health insurance. Domestic students are required to be insured, a requirement enforced by the federal government pursuant to the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Because most students studying in the U.S. on F, J, Q and M visas have non-resident alien tax status, they are generally not required to comply with the ACA. In other words, all students are required to have health insurance; the difference is in how we are enforcing this.
I already have insurance, do I have to take this plan?
Yes, all international students, except sponsored students (those sponsored by KCO and SACM) will be enrolled in the plan.
Can I waive or appeal this coverage?
Waivers are not allowed for international students enrolled at Boise State and are living in the U.S.
Due to the COVID-19 measures that are currently in effect, international students studying remotely from outside the U.S. for the duration of the insurance coverage period can request an ISHIP waiver using this Health-Insurance-Waiver-Request-Fall-2022. Please follow form submission instructions carefully. Late submissions will not be accepted. You must also have submitted the Leave of Absence from Campus form so that your F1/J1 immigration record can be appropriate updated to show you are studying from outside the U.S.
How do I use the plan?
I am a graduate assistant. How does this impact me?