Skip to main content

Visitor Visas for Family

Student selfie during graduation

You may want to invite your parents or other family to visit while you are studying at Boise State University. In most cases, your family member will need to apply for a B-2 tourist visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

Here are some suggestions to increase their chances of obtaining a visitor visa:

Review the visa requirements

These can be found on the U.S. State Department Website. We recommend that you contact the local U.S. Embassy or Consulate if you have questions about those requirements.

Confirmation of your study

A transcript or an enrollment verification letter. You can order these through your myBoiseState account.

Evidence of your status in the US

Photocopy of your I-20 or DS-2019, as well as your I-94 and visa (if available).

Evidence of intent to return home

Your family members must be able to prove that they plan to return home after their visit. No specific documents can definitively prove intent to return home. However evidence of employment, school enrollment, property ownership, or close family relations in the home country can be helpful.

Evidence of funding

If your family members are paying their own expenses then a bank statement or employment verification may be useful.

Invitation Letter

The U.S. State Department has clearly stated that invitation letters are not required for a visitor visa. If you wish to provide a letter you may do so, as you are the person inviting your family. We recommend you include the following information:

  • Your name and reason for being in the U.S.
  • Full names of your family members who would like to visit.
  • Purpose and length of the visit.
  • Whether you are providing room and board or any financial assistance for the visit. If you are providing financial assistance, then you could provide copies of your most recent bank statements (2-3 months).
  • If the visit is to attend graduation, then you could include an invitation to attend the commencement ceremony (date/time).

Providing your family members with this documentation may improve their chances of obtaining a visa; however, there is no guarantee a visa will be issued. The success of their request for a visa lies in their ability to prove that they have no intention of staying permanently in the U.S. 

Please note the B-2 visitor visa restricts work and study in the U.S.

If your child or spouse would like to stay with you throughout your studies then they may apply for an F-2 dependent visa.  You can get further information by contacting the Center for Global Education.