Skip to main content

Severe Economic Hardship Work Permit

“If other employment opportunities are not available or are otherwise insufficient, an eligible F-1 student may request off-campus employment work authorization based upon severe economic hardship caused by unforeseen circumstances beyond the student’s control.” [8 CFR 214.2 (f)(9)(ii)(C)]

It is rare that Boise State University F-1 students are eligible for a severe economic hardship work permit. Further, even in extreme, extenuating circumstances approval by USCIS is not always granted.

The application takes several months to be adjudicated by USCIS (3-5 months).  If you have an immediate financial need, you may consider applying for Boise State University’s Student Emergency Fund through the Dean of Students Office. The fund provides short-term financial assistance (up to $400) to students who are in danger from withdrawing during a semester due to unanticipated, temporary financial hardships resulting from emergency or crisis situations (e.g., accident, illness, death of a family member). The Dean of Students Office also operates the Campus Food Pantry and can connect you with other community resources. Please also talk with an advisor in the International Student Services Office if you need additional support.

Severe Economic Hardship Work Permit