Skip to main content

COVID-19 Related FAQs for International Students

Photo of the B

FAQ page - updated 06-23-2022

Contacting an ISS Advisor

I really want to talk with an ISS advisor. How can I set up a meeting?

ISS advisors are still available via phone and email as usual ( We are also available for Zoom video meetings, if you would like to do so.

If you are a new student to Boise State University then please reach out to International Admissions, who are available to meet with you (remotely by video) and answer any questions you may have.

I’ve read all the FAQs and my question/answer isn’t listed here. Please can you help?

We’re here to help! We can chat by phone or video conference, and we’re also available by email.

Course Registration & Immigration Requirements

What are the course formats for Fall 2022?

Courses are being taught in four different formats: in-person, hybrid, remote and online.

If you would like to learn more about each mode of instruction, visit the Course Delivery Types webpage.

For F-1 and J-1 student visa purposes hybrid and in-person courses count as on-campus courses. Unless you are ill, you must be genuinely attending the in-person elements of the class to count it as on-campus for immigration.

Remote and online classes, even if you are taking them while you are personally present at Boise State, do not count as in-person classes for immigration purposes.

What are the enrollment requirements for Fall 2022?

You must enroll full-time if you wish to remain in the U.S. in F-1 or J-1 status. That is 12 credits (undergraduate) or 9 credits (graduate).

There are some limited exceptions to enrolling full time for graduate students with only thesis/dissertation remaining, and for students in their final semester. In both cases, the exception requires prior approval from the ISS office.

Undergraduate exchange students (J-1 visas) must enroll full time (12 credits) and at least 9 credits should be on-campus.

For Fall 2022 students on F-1 student visas are allowed to take more than one online course as part of their full-time course load. You must remain in at least one on-campus course. Please note this is a temporary exception offered by U.S. Immigration during COVID. We expect a return to regular on-campus study requirements for the Spring 2023 semester, so please plan accordingly.

If you were in the U.S. in F-1 status on March 9, 2020 (without a break in attendance) then you can remain in the U.S. while taking only online courses in Fall 2022. Please contact an ISS advisor ( to confirm your eligibility before registering for only online courses.

What are the enrollment requirements for Spring 2023?

Enrollment requirements will return to the regular F1/J1 enrollment requirements, as stated by U.S. Immigration. That severely limits the number of online and remote courses you can take as an international student. Therefore you must enroll as follows:

Undergraduate – at least 12 credits. Of those 12 credits, at least 9 credits must be on-campus/in-person.

Graduate – at least 9 credits. Of those 9 credits, at least 6 credits must be on-campus/in-person

There are limited exceptions to being less than full time, such as final semester, only thesis/dissertation remaining, or medical reasons. ALL exceptions must be pre-authorized by an ISS advisor in the Center for Global Engagement. Please contact us before dropping below full-time.

It will be extremely important to register for classes as soon as you have your enrollment appointment so that you get the courses you need, as not all sections of courses are offered in-person.

Are thesis and dissertation credits on-campus?

In most cases, thesis and dissertation credits are coded as in-person. Once you enroll you can see the mode of instruction within your Student Center.

As in regular semesters, you should plan to take the credits from the Boise area, unless your research requires you to be elsewhere in the United States. If you are doing research from outside the U.S. then please contact International Student Services ( for the appropriate form for research abroad.

This is my final semester. Do I need to be enrolled full-time?

You can request permission to be enrolled less than full-time if it is your final semester. You can read more about Final Semester requirements here.

You can also take your final courses online from outside the U.S.. However, if your final semester is outside the U.S. then you will not be able to apply for post-completion OPT work authorization.

If you want to take your final semester online from outside the U.S. then please complete our Leave of Absence from Campus Form as soon as possible so that we can correctly update your immigration record.

Can I study outside the U.S. for the Fall 2022 semester?

If you are in the middle of your program and you are planning to study entirely online next semester from outside the US please complete our Leave of Absence from Campus form  before the semester starts, if possible. This will allow us to contact you if there are any immigration updates that might affect you.

We may be able to keep your F-1 status (I-20) active while you are outside the U.S. if you are enrolled full time. Not all students will qualify for this, so please contact the ISS office for details before you make firm plans. If you would like to be less than full time or take the full semester off studying, then you may need a new I-20 to return. It’s very important to get permission from International Student Services ( before you drop below full-time enrollment, even if you are outside the U.S.

Please note that if your final semester is outside the U.S. then it may impact your ability to apply for post-completion OPT work authorization. USCIS does not currently allow students to submit OPT applications from outside the U.S.

If you have questions about health insurance enrollment while outside the U.S. then please look at the FAQ section on Health and Wellness on this page.

Travel and Visas

What documents do I need to re-enter the U.S.?

First, check the travel restrictions for any country that you are transiting through, as you travel back to the U.S.

Please note that a negative COVID test is required for entry to the U.S. (see CDC website).  Proof of vaccination is also required to enter the U.S. (see the CDC website about entry for non-immigrants). There are very limited exceptions. COVID-19 vaccinations are available through the Boise State University Vaccination clinic and many other providers in the Boise area.

We recommend that continuing students have the following documentation to enter the U.S. (required items are in bold):

  1. Valid passport (generally must be at least 6 months left, but some countries must have 1 year of validity left)
  2. Valid I-20, with a valid travel signature (a valid travel signature is less than 12 months old) if you need a travel signature on your I-20, please request one via our I-20 request form. J-1 students should have a valid DS-2019 with a valid travel endorsement.
  3. Valid F-1 visa stamp (Canadians are exempt from this requirement). J-1 students should have a valid J-1 visa stamp.
  4. EAD card (ONLY for students on OPT or STEM OPT) as well as evidence of employment, and a travel signature that is less than 6 months old
  5. Unofficial Boise State University transcript. This helps show that you are an active student making full-time progress towards your degree. It also helps to show that you were enrolled full-time. You may be required to show the mode of instruction for your courses, so be prepared to provide that information.

Please note: travel restrictions can change rapidly and without notice. It is your responsibility to check requirements before you travel. Please always check the travel requirements and any additional protocols with your US Embassy or Consulate before you travel.

Can I travel outside the US?

You should make the best decision for your own personal circumstances but we urge you to carefully consider the challenges of travel outside the U.S.

We encourage you to review the Boise State COVID Travel page. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) maintains a Travel Information website related to COVID-19. Please note that information on travel conditions, recommendations and requirements can change rapidly and without warning.

Here are some other considerations:

  1. Airlines are still restricting and cancelling many routes, often with little notice. If you wish to travel home, please check for the earliest possible departure and routes. Keep in mind that this may also make it difficult to find a flight to return to the U.S.
  2. Check that you are able to to enter your destination and transit countries (travel restrictions and transit visa requirements) and if there are any self-isolation requirements. The Embassy for your home country is one source of information on travel restrictions and quarantine requirements.
  3. Check if your visa stamp has expired, or if it will expire soon. Some Embassies are still closed, and many do not have visa appointments without a long wait list. This could make it very difficult to renew your visa and may delay your return to the U.S.
  4. You can only apply for OPT work authorization from inside the U.S. If you are outside the U.S. for your final semester then you may not be able to apply for OPT if you leave the U.S.
  5. A negative COVID test is required for entry. Additionally, proof of COVID vaccination is required for U.S. entry (see CDC website on vaccination requirements) with extremely limited exceptions.

Consult an ISS advisor ( if you have questions about applying for OPT.

Where can I check current travel restrictions?

Although we cannot guarantee the up-to-the-minute accuracy of these websites, many people have found these websites to be useful. You may also wish to check with your airline before booking travel or traveling.

IATA website

US Department of State – on travel to other countries

CDC – on travel to the U.S.

Are Embassies and Consulates open for visa appointments?

Plan before you travel. The U.S. State Department has indicated that most Embassies are open for visa appointments. However, the availability for visa appointments varies depending on staffing and volume of requests. Continue to check the website for your Embassy or Consulate for more details, including if they are offering visa interview waivers. It can be difficult to obtain a timely visa appointment, and expedited appointments are not always available.

Remember that you only need to apply for a new visa stamp if your current visa stamp has expired and you are outside the U.S. You can remain in the U.S. with an expired visa stamp in your passport, so long as your I-20 or DS-2019 is valid, and you are following all the rules of your F-1 or J-1 status.

If you are having difficulty getting a visa appointment and are unable to get to Boise State then please contact us (

I am in the U.S. and my visa has expired. How do I renew my visa from within the U.S.?

You cannot apply for a new visa stamp from within the U.S.

However, you do not need to reapply for your visa if you are not leaving the U.S. It’s alright to be in the U.S. with an expired visa, so long as your I-20 or DS-2019 has not expired and you continue to follow all the rules and regulations for your visa status.

I am in the U.S. and my passport is expiring soon. How do I renew my passport from within the U.S.?

Please contact your local Embassy or Consulate inside the US for passport renewal requirements. Even if your Embassy or Consulate is not accepting applications be sure to document your attempts to renew your passport. Make sure you keep a photocopy of your current passport before you send it for renewal.

I-20 Updates & Reprint Requests

I’ve moved to another room or apartment. Do I need to update anything?

Yes, the regulations have not changed about contact information updates.  If you’ve moved to another address within the U.S. then please complete our Change of Address form within 10 days of the move. Students on OPT or STEM OPT should update their address using the SEVP OPT Portal.

What do I do if I’ve lost my I-20 or updated my I-20 and I need a new one?

Complete our online request for a new I-20. If you have changed your major or minor, complete our change of major/minor request for a new I-20.

I forgot to get a travel signature on my I-20. Can I get one now?

Please complete our online request for a new I-20.

U.S. Immigration is now allowing students to use emailed I-20s with travel signatures for travel. If you have received an I-20 by email then remember to print it out and sign it in ink before using it for travel. Please note that we can only email I-20s to your Boise State student email address.

Employment and Finances

I have an on-campus job. How is it affected?

Please talk with your supervisor about your employment. Remember you are still restricted to 20 hours/week of on-campus work during the semester, even if classes are online.

U.S. Immigration is temporarily allowing F1 students to do their on-campus jobs on a remote basis.

My on-campus job is not available during this time. I’m worried about my financial situation. Are there any resources available to help?

The Dean of Students Office has a Student Emergency Fund.  It might be a good place to start if you are concerned about finances in the event of a university closure (see the Student Emergency Fund webpage for information).  They also operate a food pantry that you can access.

We’ll continue to update this FAQ page if we learn of any other funding opportunities or exceptions the U.S. Government provides related to on/off-campus work in this period.

Please contact us ( if you continue to have concerns that COVID-19 has affected your financial situation.

Has U.S. Immigration allowed students to work off-campus due to COVID-19?

The F1 student visa regulations regarding employment have not changed.

International students on F-1 student visas are restricted to 20 hours/week of on-campus work only. No off-campus work is allowed, unless you are authorized under CPT (used for academic internships) or OPT (used for working after your degree).

There are some very limited options for work permits based on Unexpected Economic Hardship.

OPT - Optional Practical Training

How do I apply for OPT during this period?

OPT is the work authorization students use to work in the US after completing their academic program.

USCIS still requires students to apply for OPT from within the U.S. The I-765 application form also requires a U.S. mailing address for your EAD (work authorization card) and any other OPT-related correspondence. You can get further information on OPT on our website.

If you are completing your degree then it is very important to attend an OPT informational workshop early in the semester so that you can learn more about OPT. Then you will be ready to apply when your application window opens. The application window opens 90 days before the semester ends. You cannot apply for OPT if you have not attended an OPT informational workshop within the last academic year.

All informational workshops are offered online via zoom. Applying for OPT early in the application window is very important. You do not need a job in place to apply for OPT. You do not have to be ready to file the OPT application (or even planning to file for OPT) to attend the informational workshop.

I’ve applied for OPT but I want to leave the U.S. Will that affect my OPT application?

You can depart the U.S. while your application is pending, but you should be aware that there are some potential risks in doing so.

  • Any OPT-related mail will go to the mailing address that you put on your I-765 form. If no-one will be able to receive your mail then you should find another reliable U.S. mailing address and update USCIS and the ISS office with your address change.  If you receive a Request for Evidence (RFE) at that address then you will need to be able to review it and respond to it very quickly, as they are time-sensitive.  If you do not respond to the RFE by the deadline provided then your OPT will be denied.
  • If your OPT is approved while you are outside the U.S. then you will need your EAD card and updated I-20 (with travel signature) to return. You may have difficulties re-entering the U.S. after the program end date on your I-20 if your OPT is still pending.
  • If your F-1 visa has expired then you will need to apply for a new F-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, most of which are currently closed. It can be difficult to renew an F-1 visa without your OPT approval and verified future employment.

I’ve already left the U.S. and plan to finish my program online. Can I apply for OPT?

If you have already left the U.S. then you are no longer able to apply for OPT.

I’ve reached the EAD end date of my OPT/STEM and I have not reached the maximum number of unemployment days. I’m getting near the end of my 60-day grace period to remain in the U.S. Can I stay longer?

Please contact an ISS advisor if you are in this situation. There are some limited options if no flights are available and if it’s not possible for you to return home.  Please note that the 60-day grace period at the end of your OPT is only available if you have not reached the 90-day unemployment limit.

I am on OPT and my employer has temporarily reduced my hours to less than 20 hours/week. Am I accruing unemployment days?

For the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, SEVP considers students who are working in their OPT opportunities fewer than 20 hours a week as engaged in OPT. We expect that accommodation to end at the end of the 2022-2023 academic year. Therefore we encourage you to obtain employment related to your field of study that is more than 20 hours per week.

If you have lost your job or have no hours of work then you must update the last date you worked as the end date for your position in the SEVP portal (do not delete the position entirely). If you no longer have any employment or work hours then you would accrue unemployment days. Remember, you have 90 days of unemployment during your first year of OPT. If you’re already on the 2-year STEM Extension then you are allowed a total of 150 days in the 3-year OPT period. It’s OK to use those days!

I am working remotely on OPT / STEM OPT during COVID-19. Do I have to update my place of employment in the SEVP Portal?

SEVP has confirmed that you do not have to update your worksite address while temporarily working remotely during the COVID-19 period. If you work remotely on a permanent or long-term basis even after your company returns to working onsite, then you will need to update your worksite address at that time. Students on STEM OPT who have a worksite address change should contact Ruth Prince ( for more guidance.

Government-sponsored students

I am a student sponsored by SACM or KCO. How will I request my letters and documents?

The letter request process will not change. If you need to submit a letter request, please visit Sponsored student letter requests.

Health and Wellness

What are my resources for health and wellness in this time?

As an international student at Boise State, your health and well being are our first priority. Please continue to check Boise State University’s main page for the latest Campus updates regarding COVID-19. Below are helpful links we have found to help you address stress and anxiety you may be feeling. As always, please don’t hesitate to contact us if you feel you have any questions or concerns.

Coronavirus Resource Center

Tips and Strategies to deal with the effects of Physical Distancing

University Health Services

Bronco Fit

Can I waive the Boise State health insurance if I'm outside the U.S.?

Boise State University requires all international students to have health insurance coverage.  You can learn more about the policy on the Health Insurance Information webpage.

Due to the COVID-19 measures that are currently in effect, international students studying remotely from outside the U.S. for the full duration of the insurance coverage period can request an iSHIP Waiver.  You must have a Leave of Absence request also on file for the semester. Please follow form submission instructions carefully. The deadline to request a waiver is 08/26/2022 for Fall 2022. No late applications will be accepted.

If you are a Graduate Assistant or a sponsored student and have been charged insurance fees in error, email Wendy Ball at no later than Friday, 09/02/2022 to request a fee removal.