Skip to main content

Final Semester

There are important steps to take and things to consider for your final semester of your degree program. Continue to check with your academic advisor to make sure that you have properly registered for all the courses that you need to finish your degree.

You cannot work after the last day of the semester unless you have an approved OPT application and a valid EAD.  If you are transitioning to a new Boise State degree program next semester then you can continue on-campus work after you have received the I-20 for your new program.

If you have applied to graduate but don’t think you will finish this semester then please contact an ISS immigration advisor as soon as possible if you have applied for OPT, or if you will need an I-20 extension. You must make an I-20 extension request before your I-20 program end date.

Registration Requirements

You can request permission to be enrolled less than full-time if it is your final semester, but you must still have required on-campus courses.  This is the same requirement regardless of whether you are finishing in the Spring, Summer or Fall semesters.

Undergraduate student part-time request

International Graduate Student Part-Time Enrollment Form

Apply for Graduation

If you want to graduate from Boise State University then you must apply for graduation.  You can do that through your my.BoiseState Student Center.

How to Apply for Graduation

We hope that your family and friends can visit you to celebrate your graduation! If so, they might need to apply for a visitor or tourist visa.

Visitor Visa Information

Work in the US

Apply for OPT

If you’re interested in working in the U.S. after you graduate then you will need to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization. It’s important to apply as early as possible (as much as 90 days before you finish). You don’t have to have a job in place to apply for OPT.

Learn more about OPT

60-day grace period

You are granted a 60-day grace period to remain in the U.S. after your finish your program. During that time you can travel in the U.S., apply for OPT or transfer to another degree program. If you leave the U.S. during this time then you cannot return using your F-1 visa unless you have the I-20 for a new academic program or have the receipt notice for your OPT application. Please take care when booking cruises or traveling to other countries in this period.

Students finishing in summer must be taking on-campus courses to qualify for the 60-day grace period, which is counted from your final class date. If you are only taking online courses in your final semester then you must take those courses from outside the U.S. and are not eligible to apply for OPT.

New Degree Program

If you are continuing at Boise State University then you will need to obtain a new I-20 from International Admissions for your new academic program before your 60-day grace period ends. Once you have your new Boise State I-20 you can begin working on-campus.

If you are transferring to another university next semester then you must request your SEVIS record transfer to the new university. You can remain in the US if you are starting in the next available semester and if there are less than 5 months between the two programs. You must make the transfer request — including uploading your new admission letter — at least two weeks before your 60-day grace period ends.

Request transfer to new university