Skip to main content

Travel Outside the US

To re-enter the US you will need the following:

  • Valid F1 or J1 visa
  • Valid passport
  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019, with a valid travel signature
  • Students on OPT also need their EAD card and evidence of employment

Every time you return to the U.S. you should check your electronic I-94 record. It should say F1 (or J1 if you are a J1 student). It should also say D/S, which means Duration of Status. If it does not say those things, or you cannot find your I-94 record then please contact International Student Services.

Get your I-94 form here

Travel Signatures

Please drop off your I-20/DS-2019 at the Center for Global Education and request a travel signature. The signature is valid for a year (6 months, if you are on OPT).

A Boise State official’s signature on your I-20/DS-2019 confirms that you are returning to Boise to continue your education. It also confirms that you are maintaining your visa status. Attempting to enter the US without a current signature on the I-20/DS-2019 will delay your clearance through customs/immigration and may require extra paperwork.

IMPORTANT: Bring your I-20/DS-2019 to the ISS office at least 3 business days before your departure date.  You must be properly registered for classes (including next semester, if applicable).