The merit-based Gem Scholarship for graduate students waives non-resident tuition for out-of-state and international graduate students with an overall GPA of at least 3.30 who are accepted into an eligible graduate degree program. Qualified students who attended Boise State as an undergraduate are eligible for a Gem Scholarship, even if they received Gem support as an undergraduate.
How to Apply
Please click here to view the Gem Scholarship application. If you are accepted into an eligible graduate degree program and have been recommended for a Gem Scholarship by the Graduate College, the Financial Aid Office will make an offer to you through your my.BoiseState account. Gem Scholarships are awarded for one year. It may be renewed for one additional year for students in master’s level programs, and three additional years for a doctoral program. For your Gem Scholarship to be renewed, you take at least 9 graduate credits per semester in each of your first two semesters and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.30.
Gem Application Deadlines
Fall Semester-February 15
Spring Semester-October 1
Who is eligible for the Gem?
To be eligible for a Gem Scholarship for graduate students you must:
- Have a permanent residence outside the State of Idaho (both international students
and US citizens are eligible).
- Have a GPA as an undergraduate of 3.30 or higher.
- Be accepted into an eligible graduate degree program.
- Gem Scholarships are awarded to eligible students. If you receive a Graduate Assistantship with a tuition waiver, you will no longer be eligible for the Gem Scholarship and your Gem Scholarship will be replaced by the assistantship. Your Graduate Assistantship will also cover your non-resident tuition and fees.
- You will not be considered for the Gem Scholarship if applying ONLY to a certificate program.
- Students in the Master of Athletic Leadership, Online MBA, Executive MBA, the off-campus Social Work graduate programs and the online graduate programs in Educational Technology, Nursing, and Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning are not eligible for the Gem Scholarship. Please use this link for a full list of ineligible programs.
If you are awarded the Gem Scholarship, you are still responsible for Resident fees; this represents a savings of approximately $14,450/year. Current information on tuition and fee costs at Boise State University can be found at the University Tuition & Fees page.