Skip to main content

2.10 Transfer Credits

Transfer credit is academic credit that is awarded to a student by another college or university that has not been applied to meet the requirements of a previously earned degree of any type at another institution, and is approved for application to the requirements of a graduate certificate or degree at Boise State University. Graduate Students should submit a Request for Approval of Transfer Credits (RATC) form electronically, which will be approved by the appropriate Graduate Program Coordinator and the Graduate College, and which will authorize the Graduate College to make changes to the student’s Academic Advisement Report (AAR) so that transfer credits can be directed to meet a previous course requirement. Transfer credit must satisfy the following restrictions:

  1. Transfer credit must be graduate academic credit representing a grade of B or better, awarded by a regionally accredited U.S. college or university or by a non-U.S. institution of higher education that is approved for transfer purposes by the International Admissions Office. Continuing education units (CEU). Non-academic credits are ineligible as transfer credit.
  2. Culminating activity courses, courses where the grade is based only on attendance, and courses representing experiential learning, regardless of the level (undergraduate or graduate), are ineligible as transfer credit.

Application of transfer credit must be approved by the graduate program coordinator and the Graduate College.

The only exception to the transfer credit rule is that credit applied to a previously earned master’s degree at another institution may be applicable as transfer credit to a doctoral degree.

The maximum transfer credit that can be applied to meet the requirements of a graduate certificate or degree is limited by the One Half Requirement. A graduate program may impose a more restrictive transfer policy (fewer allowed transfer credits) for that program. In the case of a cooperative graduate program offered by Boise State University and the University of Idaho and/or Idaho State University, a more liberal transfer policy (more allowed transfer credits) is permissible, but only if the Graduate Council has approved a higher transfer credit limit for the program.