Job Standard for A&E Services, Project Manager 1
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
A&E Services, Project Manager 1 Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75124
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Intermediate
- Family: Campus Planning & Facilities
- Function: Engineering & Architecture
Under the general direction of the Project Manager 2, manages the planning, design, and construction of capital projects and physical improvements undertaken by the University, ensuring they meet state and federal regulations and procedures and are effectively managed from concept through planning, design, bidding, construction, and occupancy.
Fully competent and productive professional contributor who applies acquired job skills, policies, and procedures to complete substantive assignments/projects/tasks of moderate scope and complexity. Works independently with general supervision; exercises judgment within defined guidelines and practices to determine appropriate action. May provide guidance and assistance to entry level professionals and/or support employees.
Bachelor’s Degree and 2 years experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience in architectural/engineering design and construction practices.
- Knowledge of building codes, land use and zoning laws.
- Experience in building construction inspection and construction cost estimating.
- Skills in the preparation of construction documents using the version of AutoCAD utilized by Architectural & Engineering Services.
- Knowledge of construction contracts and contract law.
- Knowledge of architectural professional practice procedures.
- Skills in appropriate human relations with expertise in communication; excellent customer service/team player.
- Knowledge and experience in DPW regulations and procedures.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to other duties as assigned.
60% of Time the A&E Services, Project Manager 1 must:
- Analyze and document the development of programmatic requirements with departments on in-house design, BSU, & DPW projects.
- Prepare documents for bidding and construction, or coordinate with design consultants on in-house design, BSU, & DPW projects as requested by University departments.
- Perform all required code analysis with the International Building Code, National Fire Prevention Association, Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Life/Safety Code.
- Administer construction contracts on delegated DPW and in-house design projects including the awarding of construction contracts, preparation of change orders, and review of Certificates and Applications for Payment.
- Provide oversight to the design process, the preparation of bidding documents, the awarding of construction contracts, the preparation of change orders, and the progress of construction on larger projects managed by DPW.
- Develop & provide current, ongoing information to manage project funding, schedules & scope descriptions for project reporting.
- Resolve construction issues on the job site regarding unforeseen conditions, construction Issues, and owner proposed changes.
35% of Time the A&E Services, Project Manager 1
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the A&E Services, Project Manager 1
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
A&E Services, Project Manager 2
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.