Job Standard for Athletic Trainer, Senior
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Athletic Trainer, Senior Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75796
- Pay Grade: P7
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: Athletics
- Function: Athletic Services
This position will assist the Boise State Sports Medicine staff in providing Sports Medicine/Athletic Training Services to the Boise State University Intercollegiate Athletic Program. This position will have oversight of the athletic training room and staff, including direct oversight of full-time, graduate assistant and student athletic trainers.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of area typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures. Typically hold a Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of NCAA rules and regulations regarding compliance issues
- Ability to perform adequate and competent evaluations in regard to health status of student-athletes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
60% of Time the Athletic Trainer, Senior must:
- Provide emergency medical coverage and athletic training services including injury prevention, management, evaluation, treatment, and rehabilitation strategies for multiple intercollegiate athletic teams for all home and away competitions and practices.
- Coordinate physician and medical staff referrals, appointments and surgeries for injured athletes with Idaho Sports Medicine Institute and outside vendors.
- Arrange treatment times, locations and schedules for medical services while traveling
- Work in cooperation with Head and Assistant Athletic Trainers in determining sports assignments and event coverage for physicians, staff & student athletic trainers.
- Oversee off-season conditioning programs with correct medical coverage.
- Administer daily coaches meeting injury updates. Supply the coaching staff with an overview of the student-athletes injuries and practice schedules.
- Collaborates in developing yearly budget requests.
- Assist in the selection and supervision of Assistant Athletic Trainers, Graduate Assistants and Student Athletic Trainers in providing athletic training services and maintaining current certification and licensure as required for all staff.
35% of Time the Athletic Trainer, Senior
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Athletic Trainer, Senior
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Ability to travel
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.