Job Standard for Customer Care, Assistant Director
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Assistant Director of Customer Care Overview
- Person Group: Professional
- Job Code: 75226
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Assistant Director
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Customer Care
Provide technical and personnel leadership of client support for desktop-based software applications, hardware configurations and system analysis. Provide assistance and solutions for integration between desktop and University specific applications. Develop, document and implement strategies, standards and procedures to be used by the various information technology staff members inside and outside of the Office of Information Technologies across Boise State University. Manage, design and engineer projects as they relate to the desktop infrastructure.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to midterm focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Information Systems, Management Information Systems or Computer Science and a minimum of 5 years desktop management experience and 2 years supervisory or project management experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Training in information technology concepts.
- Experience in installing, configuring, networking and troubleshooting Desktop Operating systems and Office applications.
- Experience in software management, contracts, purchasing and negotiation.
- Excellent communication skills, which allow for troubleshooting and problem solving via oral and written communication.
- IT service management, leadership, efficiency and support certifications will be sought as part of this position.
- Software Licensing: Ability to guide renewal of complex software systems. Must understand contract, purchasing and IT processes.
- Demonstrated ability to follow up on multiple priorities simultaneously to accomplish all tasks without sacrificing quality.
60% of Time the Assistant Director of Customer Care must:
Leadership and Management Responsibilities
- Customer Relationship Management: Responsible to monitor performance and quality of the team’s performance and customer interactions. This position meets regularly with key stakeholders to ensure we are meeting department needs. Analyze and document current systems and procedures. This includes be on and leading communication and collaboration team meetings.
- Personnel Management: Responsible to manage, to hire, supervise and schedule student and full-time employees of the desktop support team and the desktop engineering team.
- Training: This position also is responsible for training new full time and student employees in coordination with the Desktop Support team leads and Help Desk Manager. This position will organize, design the training (based on the knowledge level of the new employee) and coordinate the training experience. The position will work to be sure our policies, practices and procedures are known as well as help all employees become part of the Customer Care team.
- Support: Ensure the team is providing prompt and quality support to University client systems.
Vision and Strategic Directors
- This position determines the vision of how computers are configured and work in offices, classrooms, labs and other venues. The decisions this employee makes impact nearly every workflow and business process on campus.
- Client Technologies: This position is the gatekeeper of what technologies are used in configuring and supporting computers on campus.
- Process and Knowledge: The primary leader for knowledge management within Customer Care. This position has the responsibility is to identify, assign topics and edit/verify the submitted content for accuracy as well as create documentation for desktop administration tools, ERP clients and other complex issues.
Systems Maintenance and Project Management
- Successfully manage, document, design and assign projects. Successfully manage and direct application management and systems. Develop, document and implement strategies, standards and procedures
Backup Management Team
- Serve as the primary backup for Customer Care management
- Serve on committees, interdepartmental teams and special projects as requested.
- This position is responsible to develop budgetary needs for desktop support, pedagogical computer replacement, the College of Business and Economic technologies and client support systems overall. This position makes recommendations on salary and will provide information on over a million dollars’ worth of purchases annually.
35% of Time the Assistant Director of Customer Care
- Maintain working relationships within OIT, the campus community and with outside vendors. This position also works with external interfaces other software manufacturers as necessary to support unique applications used by the University.
5% of Time the Associate Director of Customer Care
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
May be required to travel with overnight stays.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.