Job Standard for IT Network Services, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#.
IT Network Services, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75477
- Pay Grade: P12
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Information Technology
- Function: Cloud Infrastructure Services
This position is responsible for the overall function of the Network and Security Office. The senior manager sets the initiatives and manages the staff that maintain secure operations of Boise State’s enterprise network and phone systems.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree and 5 years of professional experience or equivalent relevant experience, including 1 year of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to recruit, train, supervise and evaluate team members.
- Ability to collaborate with technical teams, leadership, business owners, community partners and value added resellers.
- Experience researching, recommending and implementing technologies that further the goal of broadly available, easily accessible and secure network communications.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with IT leadership, campus departments, community partners and value added resellers.
- Demonstrated experience in problem solving, decision making and sound judgment.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio and Microsoft Project.
- Knowledge of or experience with designing, analyzing, optimizing and operating LAN/WAN, wireless services and VoIP.
- Knowledge of or experience with Cisco (Routers, Switches, wireless products, load balancers), Bind DNS/DHCP services, Linux operating systems and cable testing equipment.
- Acknowledge the culture and pace of change that occurs at Boise State and the ability and willingness to influence and create incremental change over time.
- Ability to commit resources and establish priorities for personnel, equipment and funds to ensure maximum uptime and minimal service disruption for the University’s enterprise network and telephone systems. Establish and manage priorities for the team.
- Ability to obtain Cisco Certified Network Associate certification.
60% of Time the IT Network Services, Senior Manager must:
- Manage the efforts of Network and Security staff to ensure maximum uptime and minimal service disruption for the University’s enterprise network and telephone systems; establish and manage priorities for the team.
- Regularly collaborate on projects with OIT teams, OIT leadership, campus departments, community partners and value added resellers.
- Research, recommend and implement technologies that further the goal of broadly available, easily accessible and secure network communications.
- Manage, maintain and optimize managed services (staff augmentation) contract with local vendor.
- Manage, maintain and optimize vendor and community relationships to the benefit of Boise State.
- Forecast 5-year equipment acquisitions.
- Optimize revenue received from telephone service chargeback to the University.
- Manage employee recruiting, hiring, retention and performance.
- Oversee annual operating budget of $800,000.
35% of Time the IT Network Services, Senior Manager
- Determined by department needs
5% of Time the IT Network Services, Senior Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects, including the human body. General office work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
Network and Server Equipment Maintenance requires occasionally lifting and racking (or un-racking) equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Occasionally working in a server control room in an environment with loud background noise.
May be required to travel with overnight stays for training.
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.