Job Standard for Legal Advisor
How to use this Job Standard:
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- The Job Overview, Level Scope, Minimum Qualifications and Essential Job Functions are specific to this job’s competencies and cannot be edited.
- For the Job Posting you may;
- update/change the purpose to add in department specific information,
- add key responsibilities to the 35% of the time, specific to your department needs,
- add a preferred qualifications section
- post the position using the business title
The statements on this job standard are intended to describe the general nature of the role and level of work being performed. They are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the employee.
Legal Advisor Overview
- Work Type: Professional
- Job Code: 75509
- Pay Grade: P9
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior
- Family: General Administration
- Function: Legal
Provides legal guidance to the department. The primary duties include structuring solutions for disputes, providing support in legal issues and reviewing legal materials and contracts.
Recognized subject matter expert who knows how to apply theory and put it into practice with in-depth understanding of the professional field with limited oversight from managers. Independently performs the full range of responsibilities within the function; requires deep job knowledge of areas typically obtained through higher education combined with experience. Manages large projects or processes and problems faced are difficult and often complex; analyzes problems/issues of diverse scope and determines solutions. May manage programs that include formulating strategies and administering policies, processes, and resources; functions with a high degree of autonomy. Influences others regarding policies, practices and procedures.
Juris Doctor Degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school;
Active Idaho Bar Member in good standing, or ability to be licensed in 1 year.
A minimum of Five (5) years as a practicing attorney in good standing or related professional experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Licensed to practice law in Idaho
- Comply with grant and other reporting requirements
60% of Time the Legal Advisor must:
- Litigate viable claims of innocence on behalf of inmates
- Supervise volunteer lawyers, investigators and interns who investigate and evaluate the cases of inmates who claim they are innocent of the crime for which they have been convicted
- Determine whether cases are suitable for DNA or other forensic testing, determine whether other avenues are available to establish a claim of innocence, and litigate viable claims of innocence on behalf of inmates
- Visit penal institutions on a regular basis and as necessary to speak with clients and conduct screening interviews as needed
- Conduct other factual investigations, as needed, to assess and develop inmates’ cases
- Make court appearances as needed for cases generated by work for inmates
- Contribute to classroom instruction and outreach efforts
35% of Time the Legal Advisor
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Legal Advisor
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and requiring wearing hearing protection.
Some travel with over night stay is required for the Legal Advisor
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbents must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.