Job Standard for OSP Pre-Award, Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
OSP Pre-Award, Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75853
- Pay Grade: P11
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Manager
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
To develop and implement research development activities at Boise State University in direct support of the research mission of the university.
Manages a large team typically consisting of both experienced professionals and subordinate Managers. Focuses on tactical and operational plans with short to mid term focus; significant responsibility to achieve broadly stated goals through subordinate Managers. Determines objectives, directs programs, develops strategies and policies, manages human, financial, and physical resources, and functions with a high degree of autonomy. Requires broad management and leadership knowledge to lead a project or program teams in one dept/job family. Proactively assesses risk to establish systems and procedures to protect organizational assets. Determines campus strategies for a program with campus wide impact.
Bachelor’s Degree and 7 years experience or equivalent including 3 years of managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Effective time and deadline management skills
- Ability to present and communicate complex solicitation requirements in simplified, easy-to-digest format
- Experience in proposal preparation and writing experience for interdisciplinary proposals submitted to federal government agencies
- Ability to facilitate large group discussions
- Knowledge of federal, state, and university grant programs that support research, instruction and public service across disciplines and their submission processes
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
60% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Manager must:
- Initiate and coordinate development and submission of large, multidisciplinary, transdisciplinary, institution-wide or collaborative grant proposals to a wide range of funding agencies and organizations
- Coordinate training and education programs related to highest quality proposal development.
- Develop and maintain connections with funding agencies and potential partners
- Newsletter, calendar of recurring solicitations, upcoming solicitations
- Regularly assess and refine research development goals, strategies and methods.
- Develop working relationships with research development personnel at other universities via participation in national organizations such as National Organization of Research Development Professionals or similar professional organizations.
- Supervise, coach and mentor staff, complete performance evaluations, distribute workload
- Coordinate the flow of information among collaborators and their respective departments to ensure consistent and effective communication
35% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the OSP Pre-Award, Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for OSP Pre-Award, Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.