Job Standard for Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Senior Manager
How to use this Job Standard:
- The Purpose, Scope, Qualifications and Job Functions are specific to this job title and can not be edited.
- Click “View in Google Docs/Download” and download to Word.
- Under Essential Functions you may add an additional 35%, specific to your department needs.
- Complete this standard before creating the job announcement and posting the position.
- This standard will be used as the new Job Description for the prospective employee.
- After hire is complete, insert Employee Name and PCN#
Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Senior Manager Overview
- Work Type: Non-Classified/Professional
- Job Code: 75449
- Pay Grade: P10
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Career Level: Senior Manager
- Family: Finance & Business Operations
- Function: Research Administration
This position is responsible for the oversight of both the day-to-day activities in post award fiscal administration and significant financial data collection and reporting tasks.
Spends the majority of time (50% or more) achieving organizational objectives through the coordinated achievements of subordinate staff. Manages experienced professionals who exercise latitude and independence in assignments. Establishes departmental goals and objectives, functions with autonomy. Manages the accountability and stewardship of human, financial, and often physical resources in compliance with departmental and campus wide goals and objectives. Ensures subordinate supervisors and professionals adhere to defined internal controls with a focus on policy and strategy implementation. Manages systems and procedures to protect departmental assets and requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area.
Bachelor’s Degree and 5 years experience or equivalent including 1 year managerial experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of ethics and confidentiality principles and practices
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, multitask and complete tasks with multiple interruptions and distractions.
- Knowledge of accounting theory, principles and practices.
- Knowledge of Federal regulations governing cost principles and research compliance for educational institutions.
- Experience interpreting, explaining and applying laws, regulations and policies
- Experience monitoring and evaluating transactions for compliance with federal circulars
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
60% of Time the Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Senior Manager must:
- Act as primary point of contact for external auditors on A 133-Single Audit and coordinate other audits as needed
- Prepare annual financial reports such as the Schedule of Expenditures of Federal Awards.
- Collaborate with personnel in Finance and Administration to prepare sponsored project related elements of University financial statements and year end activities
- Work with faculty, research staff and financial administrators to evaluate current post award fiscal policies and procedures and revise when necessary.
- Coordinate and provide training of OSP and university staff on financial administration topics.
- Analyze costs for allow-ability and reasonableness
- Supervise staff who review and approve journal entries to ensure accuracy and compliance with the University’s cost transfer guidelines
- Participate in assessments of needs of post-award administration
35% of Time the Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Senior Manager
Determined by department needs
5% of Time the Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Senior Manager
Perform other duties as assigned
Work Environment and Physical Demands
Some positions may involve frequent bending, moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 50 pounds; some positions may involve moving, lifting, and carrying material weighing up to 70 pounds; standing up to eight hours each day; working in all weather conditions; exposure to high noise levels and require wearing hearing protection.
Not applicable for Sponsored Projects Cost Account, Manager
Additional training/education or equivalent experience, as well as business need, are required for movement into higher level jobs.
Incumbent must perform the essential duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation. The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work. Final employment offers are contingent upon a Final Candidate’s successful completion of a Background Verification, and a determination by the University that the information derived from the Background Verification does not disqualify the individual. In addition, a Financial History Check and Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Check may be required.