Boise State Paid Parental Leave
There are times in life that require time away from work. Having or adopting a child is one of the best reasons to take time off to bond as a new family. This makes us proud to be able to offer new families eight weeks of paid parental leave for qualifying employees.
How It Works
- Qualifying employees will apply for FMLA with Boise State Human Resources by contacting HRFMLA@boisestate.edu. Our Employee Relations Team will walk you through the forms and process.
- FMLA grants qualifying employees twelve weeks of consecutive leave. Under this policy, up to eight of those twelve weeks will be paid and must be used within twelve weeks after the birth or adoption of a child.
- Employees can elect to use available sick or vacation/annual time or apply for shared leave with Boise State HR to ensure the remaining four weeks of FLMA leave is paid.
To be a qualifying employee for FMLA an employee will meet all the following:
- They are a regular, benefit-eligible employee who has been employed with the University and/or the State of Idaho for at least twelve months during the past seven years. Note: the twelve months do not need to be consecutive;
- They have worked twenty or more hours per week and are expected to be employed for more than five months.
- They have worked at least 1,250 hours during the twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the birth or adoption.
In addition, you must meet one of the following criteria:
- Be a new parent by childbirth; or
- Be the new adoptive parent of a child under the age of eighteen; or
- Be a parent of a child born by a surrogate; or
- Be seeking to adopt a child after the birth of that child, but the adoption has not yet been finalized.
Please note that surrogate mothers, the adoption of a new spouse’s child, and sperm donors are not eligible for Paid Parental Leave.
At this time all resources and forms will be distributed by Boise State Human Resources. If you have any questions or need to request FLMA forms, please email HRFMLA@boisestate.edu.
For information on Faculty Leave, visit the Faculty Leave for Birth/Adoption and Workload Release Plan webpage.
To see more details visit the Human Resources Employee Resource Guide on Paid Parental Leave webpage.