Skip to main content

I-9 Lists of Acceptable Documents

View/download a pdf of this information

All documents must be UNEXPIRED

Employees may present one selection from List A
OR a combination of one selection from List B AND one selection from List C



Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization



Documents that Establish Identity



Documents that Establish Employment Authorization

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card

  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien
    Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)

  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa

  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)

  5. For a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer because of his or her status:
    a.Foreign passport; and
    b.Form I-94 or Form I-94A that has the following:
    (1)The same name as the passport; and
    (2)An endorsement of the alien's nonimmigrant status as long as that period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed
    employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form

  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI

  1. Driver's license or ID card issued by State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities, provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address

  3. School ID card with a photograph

  4. Voter's registration card

  5. U.S. Military card or draft record

  6. Military dependent's ID card

  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner

  8. Native American tribal document

  9. Driver's license issued by a Canadian government authority

  10. For persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
  11. School record or report card

  12. Clinic, doctor, or hospital record

  13. Day-care or nursery school record

  1. A Social Security Account Number card, unless the card includes one of the following restrictions:

  2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued
    by the Department of State (Form FS-545)

  3. Certification of Report of Birth
    issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)

  4. Original or certified copy of birth
    certificate issued by a State, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal

  5. Native American tribal document

  6. U.S. Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)

  7. Identification Card for Use of
    Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)

  8. Employment authorization
    document issued by the Department of Homeland Security

Illustrations of many of these documents appear in Part 8 of the Handbook for Employers (M-274).
Refer to Section 2 of the instructions, titled “Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification,” for more information about acceptable receipts.