Alumni Career Insights
This dashboard enables users to explore career insights about Boise State alumni who have earned bachelor’s degrees or higher and whose career/employment information was publicly available and matched through the EMSI service. These data include:
- career outcomes,
- skills reported,
- and whether matched alumni are employed in or out of their field of study.
The data resulted from a project undertaken with EMSI. The EMSI process connects employment data to alumni using publicly available information gleaned from government sources, online job posting activity, and professional profiles/resumes. To determine whether an alumni was employed in or out of field, EMSI assigned an occupation code to the career and then mapped the career codes back to the major field of study in which the person earned their degree. The mapping process uses information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The overall match rate, or percentage of alumni for whom EMSI found a match, was 37.4%.
- The results contained in this dashboard are limited to alumni who had publicly available information on their employment/career. The results DO NOT provide calculated rates of employment/unemployment or data reflecting all alumni (such as number of alumni employed by a particular organization or company).
- Results may be limited depending on the years of interest and fields of study as certain professions may not utilize online career portals as much as others and, thus, may have lower match rates.
- Employment “in field” and “out of field” may be too limiting for some fields of study in that some majors may be relevant or related to fields of study that are outside of what the BLS has mapped.
- Given these limitations, results should be interpreted with caution and considering the full context of available information.
Source: data from EMSI project; career/employment data reflects information obtained in early 2018 and includes Boise State graduates up through December 2017.