Strategic Plan 2018-2021
Albertsons Library Mission Statement
Albertsons Library leads in developing partnerships to:
- Connect to resources, tools, and expertise any time anywhere
- Create, experiment, explore, and innovate to solve problems
- Cultivate diverse knowledge and skills for life-long success
Albertsons Library is the vibrant, nurturing hub of Boise State where people and diverse ideas flourish.
Strategic Plan 2018-2021
Focus Area 1: The library uses a cyclical process of evaluating and prioritizing services to maximize the impact of services and resources to best serve our community.
Objective 1.1: Develop an initial library-wide assessment rubric.
Timeline: July 2018 – June 2019
- Define unit-level services and resources, using the 2014 Prioritization documents as a starting point.
- Identify quantitative and/or qualitative criteria for each unit’s identified services and resources, including but not limited to impact, funding, time, staffing, and creation of a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Determine staffing and skill sets required to carry out initial and ongoing assessment for each unit.
- Synthesize individual units’ services and resources into a library-wide rubric.
Objective 1.2: Develop an input/ communication plan.
Timeline: July 2019 – December 2019
- Develop a communication plan that identifies internal stakeholders, timeframe/schedules, expectations, and reinforcement of shared ownership for success of changes.
- Create a sustainable mechanism for getting input from stakeholders.
- Utilize external stakeholder feedback loop provided in Focus Area 3 to guide library activities.
Objective 1.3: Evaluate and determine initial library-wide priorities.
Timeline: January 2020 – March 2020
- Evaluate the input data using the assessment rubric.
- Decide on the priority level of services and resources, and identify skills and competencies needed for the priority to succeed.
Objective 1.4: Using the library-wide assessment rubric, make decisions for existing and new services and resources.
Timeline: January 2020 – September 2020
- On an appropriate cyclical basis (either annually or on a contract renewal schedule), assess the impact versus cost and resource investment for the prioritized services.
- Redirect resources to implement/support the prioritized services and communicate results.
- Implement decisions.
- Establish policy to assess new services and resources to determine if it should be integrated into existing priorities.
Focus Area 2: Library employees are empowered to acquire the skills necessary to serve our community.
Objective 2.1: Create an organizational culture that fosters learning through the development of a uniform, library-wide expectation for learning.
Timeline: July 2018 – June 2021
- Conduct an environmental scan of library employee perceptions about continuing education needs and interests.
- Use the results of the environmental scan along with supervisors’ feedback, to establish a professional development policy to include all library employees.
- Library leadership will support active mentoring of library employees.
- Establish a meaningful system to recognize employee development and include mechanisms to enable all staff to nominate or honor colleagues for learning and applying new skills.
- Review library travel policy to maximize training opportunities and encourage staff to pursue professional development.
- Ensure adequate space, time, and technology for staff training and learning.
- Publicize and make available past, current, and forthcoming learning and training opportunities.
Objective 2.2: Identify library-wide core competencies, including essential skills for individuals by unit, and implement a training strategy.
Timeline: June 2019 -December 2020
- Library Leadership Team identifies core competencies required for all library staff.
- Establish and deliver ongoing, mandatory, library-wide core competencies training that will leverage existing expertise and identify gaps in professional development opportunities.
- Unit Heads will identify and provide support for unit-level essential skills.
- Create a committee to investigate, in collaboration with Human Resources, the establishment of a multi-tiered career progression path for classified and professional staff.
Objective 2.3: Establish an assessment process and schedule to consistently evaluate progress towards the development of an organizational culture that fosters learning and skill development.
Timeline: July 2020 – December 2021
- Set benchmarks to assess the learning outcome program which might include training developed, policies created, individuals/groups taking and offering learning opportunities.
- Add to the an annual review process to include a library-wide survey of employee perceptions of use, value, and effectiveness of skills as they apply to the priorities identified in Focus Area 1.
- Unit heads report annually about training undertaken, competencies developed, success stories, and how new skills have resulted in service enhancements or improvements.
Focus Area 3 – Develop external relationships to collaboratively identify and capitalize on opportunities that positively impact the university, library, and community.
Objective 3.1: Expand the library’s efforts to actively engage with patrons and other key collaborators.
Timeline: July 2018 – December 2019
- Utilize the library’s external communication channels to invite dialogue and collaboration with the library.
- Expand, build, and utilize the liaison model to engage with patrons and other library stakeholders.
Objective 3.2: Ask for and listen to feedback and suggestions for how the library can respond to patron needs.
Timeline: January 2019 – December 2019
- Create or utilize existing service assessment processes to gather feedback from stakeholders.
- Develop a process that enables liaisons to report on information and feedback received.
- Continue to explore internal and external channels of communication.
Objective 3.3: Respond to actionable information provided about the library’s services and resources.
Timeline: September 2019 – December 2021
- Assign appropriate individuals or units to make changes based on feedback.
- Systematically work to improve or implement prioritized services identified in Focus Area 1.
Objective 3.4: Communicate outcomes to appropriate patrons and stakeholders on the library’s efforts to create agile and responsive services and resources.
Timeline: July 2020 – June 2021
- Utilizing communication plan and liaison model, report back to stakeholders about changes, improvements, or new initiatives taken.