Drew Flory Receives 2021-22 Young Music Educator of the Year Award

Boise State Music alumnus Drew Flory has recently received the IMEA (Idaho Music Educators Association) Young Music Educator of the Year award for the 2021-2022 school year.

Flory completed a Bachelor of Music Education and a Bachelor of Music Performance summa cum laude at the University of Central
Arkansas and his Master of Music Performance summa cum laude at Boise State. While at Boise State, he served as the concert band graduate assistant as well as teaching clarinet lessons and courses in music theory and aural skills.

Flory currently teaches 5th and 6th-grade band in the Boise School District. In this position, he teaches at four schools each day, and at three of the schools he has increased enrollment in band by 50-75% since 2019. Before becoming a band director, Flory taught K-6 general music and choir at Maple Grove Elementary in Boise from 2017-2019. In addition, he was on the marching band staff at Timberline High School from 2017-2020. Outside of school, Drew maintains a large private clarinet studio and is an active clarinetist in the Treasure Valley.

Flory writes, “There are so many wonderful music educators in Idaho, and I am humbled to receive an award. I became a band director in the Fall of 2019, and it has been difficult to discern what are my shortcomings and what are the effects of things out of my control. To be honored in any way during such a difficult time means a lot to me. I am extremely grateful to all of my past teachers and those who have helped me as I have begun my career.”

Congratulations Drew!!