Psychology Student, Elena Gardner, Receives URCA Grant for Research

Elena Gardner, a junior, and psychology major at BSU was awarded the Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities (URCA) grant for her research proposal on factors that affect perception of disability in early childhood.

Elena had this to say about receiving the grant, “First of all, I would like to say how honored and excited I am to have received the URCA grant. This is an incredible opportunity and it will bring my research to a whole new level. My research project is on exploring factors that affect perception of disability in early childhood. Both internal factors (e.g., emotional understanding, empathy, theory of mind,) and external factors (e.g., exposure, parental influence) will be examined. The goals of this project are to publish a comprehensive literature review as well as conduct a pilot survey to test the identified factors affecting perception of disability. This research is extremely important to me because by identifying factors that increase positive perceptions of disability, starting in early childhood, we will learn how to design an intervention program that would foster positive attitudes and relationships between children with and without disabilities.”

Congratulations to you Elena!