Internships and Other Experiential Opportunities
Internships and Field Experiences
Why Should You Consider an Internship?
The purpose of an internship is to gain experience and develop career skills. As much as possible, an internship should simulate a typical employment opportunity. Assuming you do not already have an opportunity identified, you need to go looking for the right kinds of experience.
Steps to Finding an Internship:
- The process begins here: https://www.boisestate.edu/career/internships/
- There are several different approaches to finding a good placement for this experience.
- First approach is Boise State’s Student employment program. You can access all of that information through the HandShake Site: https://www.boisestate.edu/career/handshake-students-alumni/
- Students typically find something that they can do through this site, however, the service providers that post here do not always result in maximal internship fit.
- Second approach is the database of previous internships: https://web.boisestate.edu/internships/Application/Search
- Students frequently find experiences of previous students to be a great resource for their own opportunities. This site will get you access to the previous experiences as well as a listing of programs who have established relationships with Boise State University and are likely to be interested in working with students again.
- Third approach would be to seek out your own opportunity. Students who have a clear vision of what they are interested in doing for their internship are very successful in finding the opportunity of maximal fit, by just contacting people in the community and in organizations where they would like to work. You can use the information through here: https://www.boisestate.edu/career/virtual-career-center/job-search-process/ to organize your approach and get ideas on what skills and engagement styles are perceived as highly desirable.
- To gain further understanding on internships and other field experiences, please refer to the additional resources page.
Other Experiential Opportunities:
Studying abroad is an opportunity to spend a summer, semester, or year studying at another university while immersing yourself in a new culture and way of life!