APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2020 ARE CLOSED
DEADLINE FOR COMPLETED APPLICATIONS was February 10, 2020.
We welcome applications from students from all biological disciplines who are interested in field or laboratory research. We are especially interested in receiving applications from members of groups that are underrepresented in science, persons with disabilities, those returning from military service, and students from institutions where research opportunities in STEM are limited.
To be eligible for the REU-RR program, you must:
- Be a U.S. citizens U.S. national, or permanent resident of the United States
- Not be graduating with your undergraduate degree until at least the end of Fall 2020 term
- Be an undergraduate student enrolled in a degree program (part-time or full-time) leading to a baccalaureate or associate degree, and
- Be available for full-time program participation and research during the 10-week summer program.
Application Instructions for REU-Raptor Research:
To apply students must complete Step 1 and Step 2 below:
1. Complete the online application by the February 10, 2020 priority deadline.
The online application requests the following information (which should be assembled prior to starting the form):
- Contact information
- Academic information that includes colleges/universities attended, major, year in school, expected graduation date, GPA (overall and science/math), and grades for up to 10 science/math courses.
- An electronic copy of college transcripts (unofficial copies are suitable) that includes Fall 2019 grades (if available at time of application) and Spring 2020 classes in which you are registered.
- Education and career plans.
- Demographic and background information, including citizenship status, race/ethnicity, military experience, and parent/guardian education information.
- Two short essays (each no more than 300 words) that describe 1) why you want to participate and what you expect to get out of the REU-Raptor Research Site program, and 2) any prior relevant experience (e.g., research, laboratory classes, employment, etc.). We suggest preparing your essays in advance using word processing software and then copying the text into the form when you are ready to submit the application.
The online application is at the link below:
2. Request two letters of reference from academic faculty (see FAQs if your references are not academic faculty).
- At least one of the references must be able to comment on your potential for independent research. Both should attempt to comment on your interest in science, motivation, work ethic, etc.
- Request that the reference providers submit their letters/comments at the following website: https://orgsync.com/140348/forms/92246
- Request that the letters be submitted by the application deadline. Your references should be alerted that their letters will be held in confidence and not shared with REU applicants.
Applications received on or before the application deadline will be given priority. Later applications may be considered if there are still openings in the program. Any questions should be directed to Dr. Jim Belthoff via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.