OSP is able to submit proposals, even if personnel are working remotely. If agencies are officially closed, proposals will most likely remain in a queue, pending resumption of agency operations – as has been the case during federal budget-related shutdowns. Information will be posted on the OSP website, as necessary.
FAQ: I am self-isolated, quarantined, and/or at home caring for a sick family member and am unable to submit my grant by the stated deadline. May I request an extension?
Most federal agencies, including NIH and NSF, do not grant prior approval for late submissions; however, there are existing policies that address extenuating circumstances. Current NIH guidance can be located at NOT-OD-15-039 and Special Exceptions to NSF’s Deadline Date Policy (PAPPG 19-1). We strongly encourage you to discuss your specific situation with both your agency Program Official and your assigned Pre-Award Research Administrator.
- NIH LATE APPLICATION POLICY Due to Public Health Emergency for United States for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) – issued 3/9/2020
- NIH FAQs Proposal Submission and Award Management Related to COVID-19 – issued 3/10/2020
- NSF FAQs #16 and #17 – issued 3/4/2020
Where can I get more information on sponsor-specific policies concerning disasters and emergencies?
- See NIH Extramural Response to Natural Disasters and Other Emergencies: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/natural_disasters.htm
- See NSF Responses to Natural Disasters: https://www.nsf.gov/naturaldisasters/
- See Department of Energy – DOE SC Accommodating Interruptions to Applicants-Awardees due to COVID-19